Child Behavior Expert Forum
neurological ticks

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

neurological ticks

My son while in a relaxed state either while riding in the car or relaxing on the floor will jerk his hands and sometimes head as if to be playing something out (a dream) and make very small jerking movements.  When I ask him a question during this, he stops immediately as not to know anything was going on.  I spoke w/ his doctor about it and he seemed to think it was nothing to worry about and something he does to relax himself or in a relaxed state.  As I continue to observe, I continue to worry it may be more than relaxing.  I do not notice other children in our family to have the same patterns and it seems as though something momentarily disconnects while he is moving his hands and sometimes head.  It seems to occur less than it did six months to a year ago, but has recently happened twice in the last three weeks for about 30 seconds each time.  Do you think this is something I should look into further or could it be a normal relaxing tweeking?  His age currently is two and five months.
While the condition may well be benign, I would tend not to dismiss it as simply something your son does to relax himself. It could well be a simple motor tic, transient in nature, that does not imply any serious neurological disorder. It makes sense to err on the side of thoroughness, I belive, and suggest that you have your son examined by a pediatric neurologist. Such a request for specialized evaluation is perfectly reasonable, given your clear description of the behavior which concerns you.
1 Comment
A related discussion, benign throat clearing tic was started.