Child Behavior Expert Forum
non-verbal learning disorder
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

non-verbal learning disorder

my granddaughter is now 17 years old. I have been raising her full time for the pst 7years. Her mother suffers from several mental disorders and has been in her life but unable to care for her fully. In her earl;y years it ws suspected that she had a learning disorder but testing proved only concusive that she suffer great anxiety.  her performance in school has always been excellent. She has risen through from an anxious, very average scholar into an honor studnt taking a very challenging curriculum. Now your asking what IS the problem? Firstly she is a nail biter that I've curbed by giving her acryllic nails.. but she bite the skin on her fingers until they are raw and red.. She always feels that someone is putting her down even when it's just normal conversation. She is always apologising for things she didn't do or couldn't be helped.. Her frustration level is low and when you are trying to explain someting to her if she doesn't understand it she begins to scream and contradict and argue.. She is never sure if her friends like her.  Two years agoe she was tested completely and diagnosed with NON_VERBAL LEARNING DISORDER.. Are these all symptoms of this disorder? Another thing that makes me nuts is that when she speaks to me if I am just  listening and not responding  se gets agitated and keeps saying ,"hello?!" This is even when NO respoinse is necessary.. Her only difficulty in school is with MATH and the very long standardized exams. Her class grades are superior but SAT's are terrible, even after tutoring and with extended time. Does all this make sense and How can I best help her?