Child Behavior Community
overeating and obese my 3 1/2 year old boy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

my 3 1/2 year old is 21 kgs and height 105cms    .He  eats a lot and when he sits on the table he wouldnt stop.He doesnot get the feeling of being full.His belly is big and out.He cant run much and gets tired very soon.I am worried though he is overactive .Please help and assist.
You might also talk to his pediatrician.  There is an eating disorder (somewhat rare) where the child simply eats everything in the fridge and never feels full.
At 3 year old he cant eat food unless you put it out for him, so put his food onto a plate, make sure you only give him healthy food any veg or fruit, chicken, rice, some pasta , baby carrots are loved by children , some whole meal bread, small amount of cheese, Cereal and yoghorts , many healthy recipes out there if you google you will find a list of foods ..Make sure he gets exercise, does not sit around watching TV get him out palying ball, get Dad involved with Fun and games .Its you who buy the food he can only eat what you give him to eat .NO chips, NO soda's  no unhealthy snacks ...
I also think this needs to be addressed with the pediatrician.  This is more than just over-eating. Your child is never satisfied and this isn't normal.
Hi annie! Thanks for your answer.But thing is he doesnot eat anything from the fridge .He eats fresh cooked food and he likes to eat everything which is good but he doesnt know when to stop.I also try to make sure he chews his food properly which he doesnt.could that be a reason?
Hello! Thank you for your reply. He does eat a lot of fresh foods and he likes eating everything.He doesnot drink any soft drinks, crisps,cakes or chips.He likes eating ice cream and choclates which he gets only once in a week.
But you are right he has to have a lot of out door activities.He has got holidays and watches a lot of Television.Which i have stopped immediately and he goes for tennis lessons and karate lessons.Thank you again for your advise.
Hello! thaks for your reply. Yea i am going to take him to a pediatrician.I also think he does that because he is bored.dont know.please advise.
One other thing to check out... sometimes  children pick up worms ,maybe from other children,  hunger is part of it, so when he uses the toilet check out for thread worms,little white things , you can get meds to clear it up very quickly .So you are saying that everything he eats is healthy  then that cant be the cause of extra weigh,.It may also be a good idea to ask the Doctor to check out his blood sugar level.
Children do not over eat by nature.  They can become obese by eating a lot of junk food, but it sounds like your little one's brain isn't signaling "full" to him. Children that young normally don't eat out of boredom either, they're normally too busy to get bored.  You need to get him checked out to determine if there is a problem.  If he checks out okay then you will need to limit his portions and make sure he is getting plenty of exercise.
hello! thank u so much for your reply.I am going to take him to a doctor.Unfortunately, we do not have many specialists in our country.

This posting reminds me of our nephew when he was about your child's age.  His parents had a nasty divorce and he was sent to live with his grandparents for several years.  During this time, he ate and and ate and ate.  He was over 100 pounds when he started school.  In addition, he suffered from ulcers while in elementary school.  So - is there any outside chance that your son is suffering emotionally and thus "filling the void" with food?  Just wondering ...
I am sorry I just spotted you are from Tanzania mammo's advice is good , limit his portions so he cant over eat and make sure he  is getting good exersice I bet he like football, even at a young age they like to kick the ball around...good luck