Child Behavior Community
peeing on things

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

peeing on things

my son who just turned 3 is now doing two things that r driving me crazy... the first that started is taking everything off to play with himself and to also hump his 1 yr old sister... the second is that he is now pulling his pull up down to pee on things... he has done it on his toys in his room, the side of the couch like a dog and the cabnets in the kitchen... please help... is this behavior normal and what do i do about it.... the humping thing has even got my daughter starting to do it too....
Children do explore themselves at a very young age so this is quite normal but the humping thing needs to have a stop put to it. Redirection usually works, if it doesn't work then try timeouts for his behavior. Let him know why he is on timeout and how long the punishment is for. Usually 1 minute per year is good to start with. As for the peeing on things, has there been any kind of changes to the house hold? Kids tend to do things for attention whether it is good or bad attention. How long has he been trained for? Have you ever tried a sticker reward program? Every time he pees in the potty, give him lots of praise and a sticker to go into a sticker book. Same goes with pooping in the potty. It can take a while so be persistent and calm. This needs to be expected to take a little while. Every kid is different. When he does the unwanted behavior, let him know that he has done wrong and that you're not happy with him. Let him clean up his own messes, this way it shows him how much hard work it is. You will have to help him clean up his messes but let him do it as much as possible. Even taking soap and water to really clean his messes will help. As he is doing the cleaning with you, talk to him about his behavior. If he continues to do this, make him clean up his messes every time he does it. Eventually it will sink it that if he does this behavior, he'll have to clean it up. I hope this helps you out. Good luck.