Child Behavior Expert Forum
potty training help for 4.4 year old boy

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

My 4.4 year old who uses the toilet all the time to pee but not poop never has any accidents wears underwares won't go poop on the toilet.  He is so stuborn that he won't even try.  He brings me diapers when he needs to go and you told me to stop this.   My husband and i have tried for couple of days to not put the diaper but he won't go then and he just holds it in.   My problem is i have a younger son who is 2.5 and i am just starting to potty train him.  Because i have diapers my older one will not use the toilet.  I have tried everthing for over a year and nothing is working.  His doctor suggested we take him to a psychologist to see what he is afraid of.  Do you agree to that?  Becasue if i have diapers in the house he will  not use the toilet and i can't get rid of diapers bec. of my younger son.  I am so at the end of my rope.  I am worried that the little party will not work because he is just so stubborn.  Thank you.
My answer is the same, and I would not suggest seeking treatment. This is a common developmental issue, not a sign of emotional disturbance. Simply because diapers are in the house, available to your younger child, does not mean that you have to use them with your four year old.
A related discussion, pasty poop was started.