Child Behavior Community
receptive language disorder

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

receptive language disorder

Does anyone here have a child with a receptive language disorder? Are they aggressive? My son was recently diagnosed with it and I'm meeting with someone tomorrow to talk about it more, but I want first hand experience too.
Hi there!  Well, that stinks.  I know from experience that it is hard when our kids have any type of issue that makes things harder for them.  

How old is your son?  

My son has sensory integration disorder.  Part of sensory is motor planning which is involved a great deal in organizing, understanding speech.  If a child's sensory system isn't working properly, things said to them can be chaotic and hard to organize and make sense of---  this is how sensory plays a role in receptive language.  And then expressive language is affected because a child has an issue with the receptive part.  

We see an occupational therapist for my son's sensory issues.  He has mild motor planning issues.  His occupational therapist works on this and gives us things to do at home.  Believe it or not, deep pressure and heavy muscle work---  things they call "heavy work' in the occupational therapy world do amazing things for my son.  he can think more clearly, focus, and quiet the chaos in his brain.  

So, keep your eyes open for any other sensory symptoms to determine if you should start seeing an occupational therapist along with your speech pathologist.  

By the way, how old is your son?   Is he getting speech therapy now?  
He doesn't have speech therapy. He's five years old. He speaks clearly, and has a huge vocabulary, normal for his age. I'm not 100% sure about all of it, but I know it has more to do with his brain and comprehension.
Dear, there are three aspects to speech.  Receptive and expressive are just as important as articulation and they do speech therapy for it.  All three parts of speech is how a child communicates which makes up the specialty of speech.  

How do you know he has receptive language issues?  Who diagnosed this?  
My grandson has been diagnosed with receptive/expressive language disorder and developmental coordination disorder by a team of specialists. He is only 2 1/2 years old, but has been having physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech therapy since just before he turned one.

He doesn't have anger issues or show frustration. We have also been  teaching him sign language since he was a little over one. This was recommended by his speech therapist. He also has a few signs that he made up himself. When he does this we gently steer him in the right direction, and teach him the real sign. He does speak a few words, like Mama and Daddy, caw (car), for hot he just mimics the sound breathing out haaaaa. We worry about his self esteem as he starts school where he won't be able to do the things the same way others do.

I wish you success as you learn how to work with him.
Sounds like you are doing all the right things to help your son.  It's amazing all that they can do these days, isn't it?  my own son has benefited tremendously from occupational therapy.  So, I can't say enough good things about seeking therapy early on to overcome things.  good for you and wishing you and your son continued success.  peace
It really is amazing what the medical field is able to accomplish these days. The earlier our kids get the therapies they need, the sooner they can learn how to adapt to or even overcome their disorder. Some choose not to use sign language as part of their child's treatment as they think it will keep them from talking. I think having a form of communication helps keep children from having severe frustration and anger issues. We are still encouraging him to talk, that's why he will continue receiving speech therapy so he can communicate by speech eventually.