Child Behavior Expert Forum
respiratory ventilator long-term effects
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

respiratory ventilator long-term effects

My son was diagnosed with RSV at 5weeks and was put on a vent in the PICU for 2 weeks. Thank God he made it through okay and is now 10 months. However, I have noticed some unusual behaviors and want to know if it seem possible that these are a result of being on the vent, medication, and having the virus when he was so little.  Behaviors noted are the following:  1) he is doing an obvious hand/foot grasp-like motion when excited or nervous. this really looks strange to me and only occurs during these times of great emotion. 2) He is not able to eat any food with texure without gagging. could the vent have resulted in esophogeal/reflux problems?  Please help-this sweet baby has been through so much and I always worry about him since our traumatic ordeal.  THANK YOU