Child Behavior Expert Forum
respiratory ventilator long-term effects

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

My son was diagnosed with RSV at 5weeks and was put on a vent in the PICU for 2 weeks. Thank God he made it through okay and is now 10 months. However, I have noticed some unusual behaviors and want to know if it seem possible that these are a result of being on the vent, medication, and having the virus when he was so little.  Behaviors noted are the following:  1) he is doing an obvious hand/foot grasp-like motion when excited or nervous. this really looks strange to me and only occurs during these times of great emotion. 2) He is not able to eat any food with texure without gagging. could the vent have resulted in esophogeal/reflux problems?  Please help-this sweet baby has been through so much and I always worry about him since our traumatic ordeal.  THANK YOU
Dear Mom,

I wish I could help you, but I'm not qualified via my specialty (Child Mental Health/Behavioral Health) to answer your question. But please be sure to raise your questions with your child's medical providers.
I don't think the baby was harmed by the ventilator but it could be that he is just eating to fast try slowing his eating down some. My son used to inhale his food but I started teaching him to eat slower and only offered him bites when he had totally swallowed the food in his mouth. be sure you are giving him small enough bites. I have worked with many babies on vents and that is not one of the long term effects of ventilators.