Child Behavior Expert Forum
ritalin side effects/behavior
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

ritalin side effects/behavior

Hello, I posted this on the mental health board and received some info but the doctor suggested I post here as well for your opinion.  thanks very much.

My son was started on Ritalin at the beginning sept. (7 yrs - ADD, moderate - severe) he was getting 2x5 mgs a day. It was increased to 7.5 + 5 mgs a day with very good results. It then went to a max of 7.5x3 times a day. After about 8 weeks of taking the drug, things at school began to fall apart. He was 'hyper', not listening, etc. The doctor cut him back to 2x5 mgs a day as she felt he was getting too much. This happened last week. My son has now developed what I would call 'tics'. He is wiggling his fingers, making noises, twirling his hair. It is not constant or severe, but it is definitely there. He did not have these behaviors before.
(he did make some noises but the doctor said it was not unusual for ADD). I stopped the ritalin 3 days ago as I was getting very worried. The 'tics' have been reduced but still there.

My questions are:

(1) can Ritalin cause these tics or is this Tourette's syndrome?
(2) can ritalin cause permanent neurological damage?
(3) I have read that sometimes it takes a week or so for all tics to disappear after the medication is stopped. IS this true?
(4) Could he take concerta or other med after having this experience with ritalin?

I really hope there is something else we can use because for the first few weeks, he did amazing on it. Everyone commented on it.

thank you very much for our insight.