Child Behavior Expert Forum
self destructive tantrums
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

self destructive tantrums

My 28 month old has been throwing self destructive tantrums.  He will hit his head on the floor, throwing his whole body weight down.  He will not stop until I intervine.  He jumps up and down on his knees.  He bites and hits himself.  He does this when I am holding or feeding our 5 month daughter.  He asks me to put the baby down.  I don't know how to handle this jealous.  The baby does require more attention with frequent feeding and diaper changes.  I explain to him that I have to feed the baby and will put her down when she is down or he can sit with me on the other side.  He says no and will throw the tantrum until I put her down.  I try to give him lots of attention and affection when I am not holding the baby and when she is napping.  I always tell him I love him and how special he is - how cute he looks and how smart he is by doing things that I list.

With his tantrums, I've tried ignoring him, restraining him, spanking, and putting him in his room.  Nothing seems to work.  How can I stop the tantrums and make him feel equally loved without giving in to him?