Child Behavior Expert Forum
shirt chewing

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

shirt chewing

My son,Michael, is 5 1/2 years old.  He is mildly Autistic.  He has started to recently chew on the neckline of his shirts and sometimes on his jeans or shorts.  He chews on his clothing constantly and the garment will become drenched.  He chews more on his clothing if he is not playing on the computer or playing a video game.  I have tried giving him other things to chew but it doesn't help at all.  He has had some OCD issues before (i.e. constantly rubbing his groin area until he falls asleep..he only does this if he experiences changes in school, or gets over excited)His developmental pediatrician had reccommended that he receive OCD medication if he got worse or had other OCD issues.  Is chewing on his clothing continously consider OCD?  His does this behavior at school also.  He is asked not to and stops for a minute and returns back to chewing.
Compulsive, repetitive behaviors, whether or not they are truly symptomatic of OCD, can respond favorably to medications commonly employed to treat OCD. I agree with the recommendation of the developmental pediatrician. It may be worthwhile to obtain a consult and see what you think.
My daughter is 9 and has always chewed her fingernails or shirt sleeve.  She has been diagnosed with ADHD.  I have always thought that was part of her adhd.  Could it be from that or something else.
I find with my daughter is is mostly at school when she is bored in class that she chews on his clothes and the teachers get very upset with her.  
I know how you feel and know how hard it is to keep them from doing it.
A related discussion, Eating disorder was started.