Child Behavior Community
singulair

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

singulair

i just wanted to post a warning to other parents.  my son was on singulair for over 3 years.  he was taking the drug for treatment of mild asthma and allergies.  he suffered from undetected side effects for 3 years.  the side effects were sneaky and subtle and i did not pick up on the cause.  at the age of 7, his physician increased his dosage to 5mg due to his age.  after that increase, his side effects became loud and clear.  in general he suffered from nightmares, leg pain, irritability, fear, out-of-nowhere vomiting, sadness, anxiety, self-doubt, impulsiveness, dificulty focusing / concentrating and restlessness.  after the dosage increase, his side effects amplified.  he began to have a facial tic, dilated pupils and hallucinations.  i finally got the message and discontinued the singulair after researching the drug on the internet.  after 3 weeks, he was like a different child.  he was happier and healthier.  his fears, anxiety and all the other side effects just disappeared.  this drug can have devastating effects and be undetected by parents.  children are unable to express the way the drug is making them feel.

i was not warned of the possible side effects like so many other parents and patients.  there is also some thought that singulair is being linked to suicide in teenagers.  you can google suicide and singulair and watch a family's story about their son's suicide.  also look up your child's medications on www.medications.com.

i hope this message reaches other parents with children on singulair.  not all children have side effects but if your does, it may be difficult to realize it is the drug.

wow that is interesting. My 8 year old has been taking Singulair for over 6 years now and is now on meds for ADD - I wonder if there';s a connection for my son. he is also very anxious.
there could very well be a connection....it is worth investigating.  i just received an email from the fda that there is an investigation underway ( finally ).  look on msn.com, there is an article about the fda's investigation plan.  anxiety was one of my son's major side effects.  i never dreamed it was the singulair.  he was fearful and nervous about everything.  my son made such a turnaround after i discontinued the singulair.  it was amazing.