Child Behavior Community
sleeping problems with my 13 year old sister

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

My sister who is 13 years old, will not sleep in her own bed by herself, my mum has been divorced for 10 years and she has to sleep in my mums bed every night, this has stopped my mum having relationships and when my mum tells her to go in her own bed she has a fit and screams the house down, phoning family members at 10pm at night asking if she can stay with them, this is not normal what can myself and my mum do to help her stay in her own bed? because when she does go to sleep in her own bed she wakes up in her bed and goes into my mums bed we have tryed putting the landing light on, opening the door through to my mums room, keeping her telly on till she goes to sleep, putting music on but nothing is stopping her go in my mums bed. my mum needs her space and her bedroom to herself. PLEASE HELP! :'(

This discussion is related to My daughter won't sleep in her bedroom....
Well,  Jade,  I think you should look at this as a blessing.  Your sisters kind of odd behavior has kept your mom from bringing men over to the house to sleep with,  which puts you and your sister at significant risk for at least emotional abuse,   if not worse.

In 5 more years your sister will be up and out and your mother will then have all the freedom in the world to have whatever relationships.  

Meanwhile,  you and she have been spared the chaos of lovers in and out of your mom's life,  step brothers and sisters,  ex's,  new pregnancies,  etc.  That's quite a gift,  really.
Maybe you could redecorate her  room , it doesn,t have to run to great expense just a few things to make it special and different . Sometimes this is a cry for help , have you asked her if she is afraid of something or if she is being bullied at school? . Another idea is to let her invite a friend for a sleep over, sometimes this can help the transitional stage of child to teenager as they feel more grownup and hopefully she will want the privacy and her own space too. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Best wishes
Angie