Child Behavior Expert Forum
speech delay problem with my 3 year old son

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

My son just turned three years old.

He understands almost everything we tell him or ask him to do but he does not speak except for words like mama, baba (uses for his father), nana (for his grandmother)... and has recently picked up the word dirty, didi (for the maid servant). the word mama came out when he was 2 and a half year old and he visited me in the hospital for my second delivery (a baby boy) and when he went back to the house, some relatives asked him whom did u meet...so he replied mama.

for words like baloon and moon ...he produces the sound oooooonnnnn.

He expresses his needs through gestures. For example for elevator ...he points his finger up n down. to go to the temple he touches his head..etc.

He is extremely observant and has a very good memory.

His hearing is fine,...we got an audiometry test done.

he was a full term baby ..normal delivery...just for your info.

He also goes to a playschool for the past 7 months..The teachers have no issues with him..he is playful..tries to play with toys blocks etc..interaction with peer group is there but not much. otherwise in the house he is extremely playful is some guests come (adults or child).

I wouldlike to have your opinion...should I put him into speech therapy?

Also I would like to know what could be a possible cause for this delay.

1 Comment
His expressive language is certainly delayed and it would be prudent to arrange a Speech/Language evaulation. Unevenness in the various areas of development is not unusual, but this delay is beyond what would be regarded as normal. Some of the time only one area of development is delayed - other times delays involve more than a single area. This is part of what has to be figured out. Is there a family history of speech or language delays? Genetic factors are certainly the most common explanation for such delays.
A related discussion, speech delay was started.