Child Behavior Expert Forum
speech delay problem with my 3 year old son
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

speech delay problem with my 3 year old son

My son just turned three years old.

He understands almost everything we tell him or ask him to do but he does not speak except for words like mama, baba (uses for his father), nana (for his grandmother)... and has recently picked up the word dirty, didi (for the maid servant). the word mama came out when he was 2 and a half year old and he visited me in the hospital for my second delivery (a baby boy) and when he went back to the house, some relatives asked him whom did u meet...so he replied mama.

for words like baloon and moon ...he produces the sound oooooonnnnn.

He expresses his needs through gestures. For example for elevator ...he points his finger up n down. to go to the temple he touches his head..etc.

He is extremely observant and has a very good memory.

His hearing is fine,...we got an audiometry test done.

he was a full term baby ..normal delivery...just for your info.

He also goes to a playschool for the past 7 months..The teachers have no issues with him..he is playful..tries to play with toys blocks etc..interaction with peer group is there but not much. otherwise in the house he is extremely playful is some guests come (adults or child).

I wouldlike to have your opinion...should I put him into speech therapy?

Also I would like to know what could be a possible cause for this delay.