Child Behavior Community
sudden change in childs behavior after illness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Hi, I have a 8 year old son that had a very bad unknown virus in April 2008.  I too had the virus but had many other symptoms in addition to what he had.  My concern is that he seems to go through very bad emotional boughts since then, not constant.  It really seems to occur when he actually is getting physically sick again.  It happend before the virus, and has happened multiple times since.  He broke a vertabrae in May, had a lung infection in July, and the emotional state is usually the same.  He becomes super sensitive, distant, sometimes wont even communicate on what is going on, cries more over things that he never would have in the past 7 years, is unbelievably irrational at times, the stories are really mind blowing.  I also notice that he becomes more anxious after the physical sickness has left.  Almost OCD like, licking his fingers, picking his nose like on automatic pilot.  After a week or two it stops.  I am very worried because my son is very happy go lucky normally, there are no traumatic things that have happened to point to psychological stress, no abuse of any kind, he is definitely not an outkast with his peers or anyone else for that matter.  The only time he tantrumed as a baby was when he was experienceing a bout of SVT.  Which he has been very well cared for in that regard and is considered ok now.  But I must note that his heart did react to this virus, as did mine, and I am still dealing with it.  He claims he is ok, and I have had him to his heart specialist who cleared him back at the end of May.  I just want to help him be okay.  I have come across PANDAS in my searches, but have also seen that discounted.  What virus is out there that can reak havok with your mind and body???  I assure you he is not trying to just get his way, or extra attention.  Even his 11 year old brother is concerned as is his 70 year old grandfather, this kid is just not the same.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Although the ignoring it and it will go away doesnt wash, there is no reward for this behavior, only my sincere worry over how to help him.  Thanks for listening.
Strep infections are believed to cause sudden onset OCD - did he have strep?
Hi, I dont know, at the time of the virus, he was coughing alot, had 104 temps for 5 days, and vomiting in the evening from coughing, also a bit of diarrea (diarrhea), the doctor couldnt really find anything, as in ear infection, sore throat, he decided to just put him on antibiotics because of the fever.  No cultures or bloodwork.  We ended up very congested in the head eventually and a rash which the doctor attributed to the antibiotic or high fever, however I ended up with the rash too, no fever or antibiotics in me, and a whole lot more.  When I had him to the heart specialist, he ran alot of bloodwork - looking for mono, "cat scratch fever"!, blood counts.  but not strep antibodies, which I have read is prevelant for the PANDAS, and you can have strep without the sore throat.   The only reason I checked on strep antibodies, is while alot of blood work was being done on me too, the lab tech suggested it.  My husband also got very sick too, with the fever.  The congestion was the most mind boggleing because we all were so very dizzy, all but my 11 year old.  But my son and I continue to seem to have lingering issues.
Hi I know it's been a while since your post but I was wondering if you figured out what was wrong with your son?  My four year old is going through the same thing after a viral infection.  He is totally not himself and I don't know what to do.  He has always been strong willed but his behavior is awful
.  I was wondering if your family has ever gotten tested for lyme ? Because my oldest has lyme induced autism, my 6 yr old has terrible joint pain.  My husband has joint problems and is constantly pulling muscles and tearing ligatures.  I have cognitive symptoms and think that I might have given lyme to all my kids and maybe their immune systems are so low that it cause the behavior problems.

If you could give me a brief update I would appreciate it:)

Jill
Idk how to edit but I meant ligaments lol