sudden separation anxirty
Hello, my son is four years old and is a few months shy of finishing up preschool. I am a stay at home mom and up until recently, had not ever been away from my son.
He had some separation anxiety at the very beginning of the school year but that stopped after about a month.
All of a sudden he has developed separation anxiety again.
He cries before school and says that he is going to miss me. He says that he knows that he has to go to school but that he doesn't want to. Some mornings the teacher or her aid has to pry him off of me so I can go. I always tell him that I will be back to pick him up and that I love him and will see him soon. This is throwing me off because we were doing so well for so many months.
His teacher says that it is normal and that it started after I helped at his school for two days and then I was not needed anymore. Also, I had a book club meeting at my house and he stayed with his teacher for a little while longer after school  and he apparently cried the whole time at school. I am planning a weekend retreat away from home coming up soon and his teacher says that all these things are why he is acting like this.
I am extremely stressed out and at a loss since this all seems so sudden to me.
I am wondering if this is normal and if there is anything else I can go to ease his mind. He is an only child and people also tell me that this is part of the issue.
Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.