Child Behavior Expert Forum
swollen breast in boys

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

swollen breast in boys

My 14 year old son has been going through puberty for a year now and is embarassed about having swollen breast.  His breast are developing like a young girl in puberty.  His nipples are swollen
and they have been getting bigger for a year now.  He plays football and really gets ridiculed by the other boys in the lockeroom for having breasts like girls.  is there something
he can take to stop his brast from developing.  He has been told to wait it out and he has waited for one year and his breast are getting bigger. He's stopped swimming this summer because of the
embarassment of taking his shirt off.
Dear Barbara,

About one third of boys develop breast tissue during the spurt of growth that occurs during their early adolescence. Referred to as gynecomastia, this tissue frequently disappears after a half-year or so, but it can persist for as long as two years. In most instances it is not indicative of any hormonal problem. It is highly probable that, if your son can be patient, the condition will recede as he develops. But, of course, remain in touch with his pediatrician about it.
If the breast tissue does not start to disappear
this year, should I take him to see a Endocrinolist?
My son states that he has had this probem since he
was 12 and he's now 14 and really embarassed about
his body.
Dear Barbara,

First, consult with your son's pediatrician; see what he/she thinks. But it would be reasonable to broach this possibility, given that the condition has persisted over the two-year span.
Dear Barbara,

I'm 14 and Have (breasts) there medium sized and I have had them for three years they are getting smaller Now I'm almost 15 so this might help you on the time how large are your sons (breast) now at 14? ***@****
A related discussion, boys breast was started.
A related discussion, gynocomastia was started.