Child Behavior Expert Forum
taking depo provera while pregnant

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

taking depo provera while pregnant
my sister in law received two depo shots after she was pregnant.doctor  did not test her before she received 2nd shot.she has a four year old son who displays lack of speech and is somewhat  socially isolated from the siblings.  his hearing seems fine and her doctor has just taken blood tests. does anyone have any info. on the side effects of taking depo while pregnant?
Dear Jim -
     Thank you for your question about your sister-in-law and Depo-Provera. I'm afraid I am not qualified to answer your question completely.  I can only tell you that there may be a slight increased risk for birth defects from the this drug - but the exact nature of that risk is unknown to me.  I would recommend that your sister-in-law discuss at length any potential risks with her obstetrician.  
    With regard to your nephew - I think it very unlikely that what you describe is due to Depo-Provera.
    Hope this helps.   Good luck - Dr. EV.
I took depro-vera before I became pregnant and dring the two years I breast fed. My daughter is now 6 yrs old. and is always having problems - Pnemonia 3 times (I do not smoke),problems in school, still wets the bed, always frustrated, her teacher says she "is very frustrated with her" and I wonder if is all those shots I received. Have there been any long term tests done on Depro-vera?
I took the depro vera shot after I had my baby last April.  I was wondering how long the shot stays in your system.
I also had a shot of depoprovera(by mistake,i was suppose to get a betamethasone shot for ptl)at a 33 week twin pregnancy.One of my daughters died in utero approx.7 to 10 hrs. after the shot and the surviving twin has neurological damage,recently an eeg was perfomed and she has partial with secondary generalized seizures,a cat scan is going to be done on 3-28-00.The eeg showed some kind of "damage to left side of the brain".This is the 1st post i have ever seen regarding depo and pregnancy,do you know of anymore?I can tell you a lot more on my situation but it would take me all day.
A related discussion, miscarried was started.
A related discussion, Autism and Depo Provera Shots was started.
I've been having signs of pregenancy recently. Today i got my depo shot but they did not do a test before i receive it, i am taking a test asap. If i am preg what complications could the shot cause?
A related discussion, Confused was started.
A related discussion, taking depo shot n plan B pill while two months pregnant was started.