Child Behavior Community
temper tantrum queen can't calm down
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

temper tantrum queen can't calm down

my 2 1/2 yr old has been having horrible tantrums for well over a year now. any little thing can set her off and you never know when it's going to happen or what will trigger her, some days are ok and some are just unbearable. when something does set her off she simply can't calm down, will scream uncontrollably for 45min to hours at a time. we have tried ignoring her, did this for months, doesn't help. I have also tried holding her and either just trying to comfort her, or trying to tell her to calm herself and encouraging her in a very possitive way, also doesn't work. occaisionally she can be distracted if the tantrum has been going on for a very long time especially by a tv show ( my girls get very little tv) but on the bad days she only stays calm a short while (5-10min) before something else sets her off and she just can't calm down and it goes on and on all day long. sometimes if my 4 yr old or I try to help her during a tantrum she will lash out and bite or scratch or hurt us. I don't know what to do anymore, some days I feel like I just can't take another second of it, and its wearing on my typically very sweet and mature 4 yr old too, creating some behavior difficulties in her, such as anger towards her sister and misbehaving to get attention. what is wrong with my two yr old! we desperatly need help!