Child Behavior Community
three year old who has a fit about wearing clothing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

my daughter is three I'm so frustrated .  It started out that she wouldn't wear socks and shoes.  Now she won't wear clothes if we go some where it is a fight to get her to put anything on at all.  I asked her why she won't wear clothes she told me they hurt.  (which I think she means uncomfortable)  She gets so mad about this she can not do anything else.  She is not potty trained through the night yet.  I have to wait until she is in a deep sleep before I can put her pull up on.  And then some times she will wake up in the middle of the night screaming because it's on and then take it off.  please help frustrated mom
Hi,  my son has a developmental delay called sensory integration/ processing disorder which affects his nervous system.  He had signs of it at 3 and an evaluation at that time was inconclusive.  By 4, it was definate.  What you describe sounds like sensory symptoms involving the tactile (feeling) sense.  It very well may be so uncomfortable to her that it feels like pain.  My son had an issue with washing his hands.  He would melt down like someone was putting push pins in his hands and if his shirt got damp or wet too----- watch out.  It was completely unreasonable.  While other things were present, this was undeniable that something was going on.  By the way, my son is extremely smart and has always been ahead of his peers in intellect so sensory disorder has nothing to do with intelligence.  Anyway, for this delay it is important to seek an evaluation from an occupational therapist trained in sensory.  And my son started this at 4 and I'm not joking, within a month the handwashing thing got better.  Now only when he's sick does he act like it bothers him a little but he still tolerates it fine.  They do this thing called brushing and we did it at home for about six months which really helps the tactile system.  My son does not wear socks around the house . . . but he will wear them with shoes because I make him.  I say,  pick your battles.  Around the house----  who cares if she wears shoes and socks but she has to have them on when she leaves the house.  My son hates high neck things, so I just don't buy them.  Etc.

Most likely, your daughter can NOT help how she is feeling and doing the best she can.  Be patient and seek out the reason why whe is reacting this way.   Then help her cope.  It may or may not be sensory and but if it is that is a good thing-----  at three you can do many things to make it so much better.  My son was falling apart at 4 (school is tough on kids with sensory even preschool two mornings a week as my sonwas in) and now at 5 he is kindergarten doing beautifully.  He loves it and they have no issues with him.  What more could a mother ask for?  Anyway, good luck and if you'd like more info on sensory stuff you can do, let me know.