Child Behavior Expert Forum
thumb sucking

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

thumb sucking
I have a 16yold girl who is still sucking her thumb. I had thought she gave of this behaivor years ago.  What should I do?
Dear Marie,

The major issue to assess is how your daughter is developing in general. If she is pretty happy, enjoys good relationships within the family, behaves appropriately, has good friendships, participates in a normal range of activities for her age, enjoys some success in school, and is in good health, I wouldn't worry about the thumb sucking, even though it is unusual fat her age.
A related discussion, Older thumb sucking was started.