Child Behavior Community
tip toes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

tip toes

my son is 2years old. he used to walk on is tip toes when he 1st started to walk and fell over a lot, but now he would walk flat and on his tip toes but when he runs it is always on his tip toes and he takes smaller steps. he falls over a lot when he is running and i don't know whether this is normal because he is trying to run to fast to keep up with his older sister
It is quite normal for the kids to fall down when they run. This is because they don't have such a strong grip of their feet and they run carelessly. However, you may guide your child to run properly and actually running and playing with your child so that he would imitate  you.

Hope you find my suggestion useful. Let me know in case you have more query.

Laura,  toe walking is interesting.  Below I've posted an article about it - basically,  sometimes it's a habit,  sometimes it's caused by a muscle that is too short to allow for flat footed walking (not the case with your son,  he walks flat footed) and sometimes it's an indication of cerebral palsy.

Since you've already raised an older child,  noticing that this one is clumsy compared to the other child is worth paying attention to.

Do you have regular pediatric visits?  This is something to bring up at the next regular well check -

Best wishes.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/toe-walking/DS01162
Agree with rockrose.  

My son has sensory integration disorder.  At three a preschool teacher told me he had some articulation issues with speech and he tripped a lot.  

Mention to your doctor that he is toe walking and falling.  In retrospect, there were other sings of the sensory with my son that I did not pick up on.  The earlier it is addressed the better.  My son was officially diagnosed at 4 and is now 7 doing really well.  

Let me know if you have any questions.
my sons speech is a little bit slow but maybe im just comparing him to his older sister, she was very advanced with her speech. he is a bit violent at times with his sister, other children and adults at times if for example if i say no he would come over and hit me or nip me. he pulls her hair nips her and sometimes bits her. the health vistor said this is normal but sometimes im not sure. if i tell him it was bold to do that he looks at me as if he doesnt know what he has done wrong. i think ill leave it for awhile and bring him into the health vistor and see what she says. thanks for all the comments
   Just want to add a good friend of mine whose son is 6 was also worried about his son walking on his tiptoes.  Turns out there was a problem, which is correctable.  But the kid has light weight casts on both lower legs now.  If the problem had been noticed sooner, it could have been corrected easier.  Point being, you do need to get medical advice and the sooner the better.