Child Behavior Community
toddler masterbation(masturbation)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

toddler masterbation(masturbation)

My daughter is 16 months old and problably for the last 8 months rubs herself on the floor.  She even grunts while she is doing this.  I asked the doctor and she said not to worry about it to try and distract her while she is doing it.  I have tried that and as soon as I get her up and doing something else she gets back down and starts over.  It also seems that she is doing it more. Does anyone have any suggestions??  Should I contact her doctor again.  Please help.

This discussion is related to Masterbation (masturbation).
Could she be itching or maybe have a UTI. It is normal for them to do this. But she could also have and infection
The doctor told me not to worry but never checked for an infection.
I would ask the doctor to check for infection, like I said playing with themselves is normal. But if you redirect the behavior and she still is persistant on doing it she mite be itching or have discomfort due to some type of infection
Hi there! My daughter is 20 months old and we are dealing with the same issue as you. She rubs on her blanket and it is becoming more often and now she is grunting and sweating and throws a complete tantrum if you interupt her act. She first started rocking in a means to fall asleep or soothe herself while holding her blanket and has been doing that for months but now I wonder if she found IT accidently during her rocking because it has completely changed and is at all times in the day now not just to soothe when sleepy. I do believe this is masterbation (masturbation). I'm a nurse, my husband a doctor and our sitter is a child behavior specialist and we all think the same.  I believe when home the best thing is to ignore her.  I think trying to limit it to her bedroom might be good as well. Just not sure in public. We have an apt. with a peds behavior specialist and hope for a plan.
It is normal for a toddler to masterbate. If it gets to excessive to the point that redness and irritation sets in around her vagina then it should be addressed medically. And a means must be found to keep her from rubbing her little vagina again. She shouldn't be scolded for masterbating (masturbating), she should be scolded for damaging herself. Masterbation (masturbation) is something she discovered that feels good and she will have a hard time controlling it. Care for her with understanding. Make sure she doesn't do it in public and relax your watch when she is in bed or in her room alone.
I have a similar problem.  My daughter started rocking as a baby to put herself to sleep when she was just months old.  Then ay about 18 months started grinding on my or my husband's legs while we were laying down.  This stoped after a couple of months.  Now she is 2 (26 months) and she is putting a blanket between her legs to grind on it. She goes at it full force breaking into a sweat and gets very upset when we try to stop her.  In the house is one thing.  But she goes to day care and takes naps during the day.  She may do this there while going to sleep.  Any advice would be great!
Old thread again...
My daughter is showing the same signs, and just within the past two weeks. Redness and irritation, I don't know if it has been going on before, but recently her's has progressed and an MD said that that is what she "might" be doing. Something is causing this to happen, outside medical realm, can anyone advise me?
I'am going through the very same problem. have you found any insight or help you can share? Im desperate. What kind of specialist do I seek out?
I would contact your daughters doctor again.
So, we met for a family gathering and while I was putting my 2 1/2 y.o. to take a nap, my niece on the other bed who is 3 1/2, when I notice she was rocking her self back and forth, blanket between her lefts, with a deep stare, and flustered until she was "done" and fell right asleep on her pillow. Was she masturbating?  I am no prude. I am intrigued to know as I want to be prepared in case my 2 y.o. starts to do the same.  For the record, I did masturbate when I was little, I remember it feeling good, but I knew not to do it in front of others for some reason. I just don't remember how old I was when it began. I do remember being like 8 and doing it.