Child Behavior Expert Forum
toddler plays in poop

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

toddler plays in poop

Could someone give me advise, my granddaughter plays in her poop and smears it around in her room. Time out, spanking, and explaining conversation are not working.
How old is she, and how is her development (cognitive, motor, social, emotional)proceeding in general? I need a bit more information to try to guide you.
My friend's 2-year old sons have been doing this as well, according to her almost every day.  They have been acting out a lot, cursing, calling her names, and hitting and biting her and each other.  This started several months ago when her husband physically assaulted her and threatened to kill her in front of them.  She got a restraining order but is currently waiting for the trial.  I spoke to my own psychologist about this and he said the feces smearing is a "really bad sign."  I don't know what that means, exactly.  The problem is that my friend refuses to take them to counseling, even though her victim's advocate offered to pay for it.  Does refusing to get them help constitute neglect?  Also, she's in another state so I'm not sure what to do about it if it is.  She claims she's refusing to get them counseling on religious grounds but I think it's more than that.  Her behavior has grown increasingly paranoid, in fact, she thinks the smearing is her boys' way of painting her own "murder scene."  According to her the painting is very graphic and detailed.  How graphic and detailed could finger painting done in feces be?  I think she's hallucinating or something similar, especially since on several occasions she has indicated to me that she believes their father has taken telepathic control over them.  Is there someone who could explain to me what the smearing means so that I could convince her it's serious and that she needs to get them help, or is it already too late?  She hasn't threatened herself or others so as I understand it she can't be involuntarily committed, but I'm no longer convinced the boys are safe.  Thanks.
I AM NOT A DOC. OR THERAPIST BUT I AM A MOTHER OF 7. IN MY PERSONAL EXPERIANCE MORE THEN HALF MY KIDS PLAYED IN THE POO WHEN THEY WERE IN DIAPERS AND TOILET TRAINING. WHEN I ASKED THEIR PEDIATRICIAN ABOUT IT HE SAID THAT SOMETIMES KIDS DO THAT AND IT IS NOHING TO BE ALARMED ABOUT. I ONLY HAVE PROBLEMS WITH ONE OF MY CHILDREN. THE OTHER 6 KIDS ARE PERFECTLY NORMAL HONOROLE STUDENTS. I WOUNDLNT FREAK OUT JUST KEEP WATCHING YOUR GRANDDAGHTER IF THIS BEHAVIOR CONTINUES ON EVEN AFTER SHE IS COMPLEATLEY TOILET TRAINED AND NO MORE ACCIDENTS THEN I WOULD SEEK HELP. ALSO IT NEVER HURTS TO ASK A PEDIATRICIAN, LIKE I SAID IM NOT A DOC AND I DONT KNOW ALL THE DETAILS OF HER LIFE. I JUST WANTED TO SHARE MY EXPERIENCE WITH YOU HOPEFULLY IT WILL HELP. GOOD LUCK