Child Behavior Community
toddler

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

toddler

My 2 1/2 year old son, puts his his hands up clenches his fists and shakes when he doesn't get his own way. His face goes red but he doesn't make a sound. Sometimes he does it for no reason. Is this normal? Tks
This sounds like whats called" temper tantrums" which is very common in the toddler stage. Does he speak yet? Full sentences? It takes lots of patience and time and always repeating yourself to him about his behavior. Have you tried time outs? They work generally well on toddlers. When he does something wrong,. put him on time out for 2.5 minutes. When he doesn't get his way and acts this way of clenching his fists and shaking, ask him what is wrong, and after he has calmed down, talk to him about his behavior. If this doesn't get through to him, when he does this behavior, repeating the time out thing will eventually sink into him that he doesn't like it and would rather be playing.So he will probably eventually stopped this behavior in order to stop being put on time out. Children don't like being pulled out of a situation that is fun for them. This is very normal to have temper tantrums. These are done throughout life as the kids grow. It's all in how they are raised and taught how to control their anger. Get him to do breathing exercises every time he feels like he's getting angry. This helps him to slow down and think about things. Also teaching him to talk with you about his feelings will be a huge help! Replacing the angry outburst with talking to a trusted adult about how he is feeling is worth your while. Good Luck with this. If there are anymore questions, please feel free to ask.
I have been having the same problem with my son who is 3 now. He seemed to have this most of his life...I am not sure when it started, but it was in infancy. It is just like you said, he stiffens his whole body for about 5 seconds....and he shakes when he is doing it. His fists are clenched and he is standing there. He does not fall down he freezes first, then clenches his fists and stiffens his whole body and starts shaking...then it stops just a few seconds later and he seems fine otherwise. I can't tell if he does it more when he is excited or frustrated or what. I have been trying to research it....I have only come up with "hyperexplexia" so far....but I am still looking.
I hope this helps.