Child Behavior Expert Forum
two year old sleep issues

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

two year old sleep issues

From birth till one baby slept in our bed, at the age of one we moved her into her cot. She is still breastfed and at night she falls asleep on the breast but wakes up when we put her in bed. We have a strict bed time routine that involves a bath teeth warm milk stories then boob and then bed. when I put her in the cot she will cry for 10 min max then go to sleep. She will sleep till around 3 or 4 then wake up and call for Mummy or Daddy, we do not offer comfort at this point as this pushes her to the next level where the crying and name calling becomes a tantrum. This time she will continue for 15 to 30 min. We dress her warm as its winter here, her room is quite and she has a toy that she loves that is a night light and plays soft music. Is this normal for a two year old? Is there some way to teach her to sleep through? Why dose she hate sleeping? Am I doing something wrong?
There is no evidence that she hates sleeping. The problem is that you have a perception that is not matching up with reality. She is fine. She is behaving exactly like one would expect in the context of the routine you have established. The pattern of feeding her as she goes to bed is not necessary, but you have established it and now she is actign accordinlly.You have 'taught' her that she needs you in order to fall asleep, rather than her falling asleep on her own.
She is a happy well behaved toddler with an exceptional vocab and active life. I have no issues with her during the day.
Thanks so much for your reply, I had suspected that the falling asleep on the breast might have been the issue. I have been cutting down her day time feeds to two a day one when she wakes up and one at nap time. In the last week I have eliminated the nap time feed. I am going to move her night time feed to before her bath.  I would like to have her off the breast by the end of the year. do you think that these alterations will help her to develop a better sleep pattern? Do you have any suggestions on other things I could do to help her?
Yes, the changes should do the trick. I have no other suggestions for you.