Child Behavior Expert Forum
verbal auditoery agnosia

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

verbal auditoery agnosia

I know this is a odd condition and i realize even odder ina 2 year old.  i know she is supposed not to understand spoken words and this is part of her problem but how does she learn to talk.  do you know anything about this condition.  we have been in speach theropy for 3mo and have seen little progress, she has a very difficult time with imitation and when she does imitate she only picks up part of the word.  she also is unable to follow simple directions like brinh me your shoes, or even give mom.  she is know 2 1\2 and says maybe 35-40 words.  what is the best way to get through to a child with a sever language disorder ?  would sighn language be a good alternative?  also do you know anything about this condition it is next to impossible to find  any information  and i would really like to understand what is happening to my little girl?  thanks any info is much apreciated.
Dear Katelynn,

I'm sorry I can't be of much assistance to you about this auditory processing problem. You might search MEDLINE (available via the SEARCH function in this Forum). Perhaps one of the readers of the Forum will be familiar with the condition and write in.