Child Behavior Expert Forum
weight gain

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

weight gain

I have a 3y/o picky eater and for the past 1 and 1/2 years he has maintained and weighed 25lbs. He is constantly and the move. He acts healthy and pretty much look healthy. It is just the weight gain I'm concerned about. Should he weigh more? What supplements
should I give if any.
Dear Trina -
   Thank you for your question about your 3 year old son.  At 25 pounds - according to our Pediatric standards, your son measures below the 5th percentile for his age. This means he is small. Now - being small by itself is not necessarily a concern.  However, no weight gain for a year and a half - is usually concerning.
   I would encourage you to make an appointment for your son with his doctor to check his weight - examine his growth curve - to document specifically his own growth pattern.  Given that your son is healthy and energetic speaks in his favor.  It may be that he is fine - but, again - I would start with his doctor.
   As far as supplements go - your doctor, with or without the assistance of a nutritionist, would be the best person to advise you.  Does your son take in enough calories and/or does he have any problems with malabsorption?  These are the kind of questions your doctor will probably try to anwer - again, with your child's growth curve in hand.
   Being a picky eater by itself is not unusual. Many children "pick" their way through their childhood and are very healthy.  It is really the question of no weight gain that concerns me.
   So - good luck - call your son's  doctor - let him know your concerns.     Hope everything is all right.  Dr. EV.