Child Behavior Community
what to do

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

what to do

Whenever I tell my son to go play in his room with his toys he freaks out and starts crying. He always says there is nothing to do, but he has a ton of toys.  I let him watch tv for a little while then I say okay playtime and he goes crazy for at least 20 min. I have tried taking tv time altogether away..I have tried playing with him or showing him what to do with his toys.  I will think he is having fun playing and check on him and he is laying on his bed staring at the ceiling.  What should I do about this?  He's a great reader, and he plays at other ppls houses and at school he only does this at home.
Is he the only child? How old is your son?  Becuase I know my son is an only child and that could make the difference. He will eventually move past this my son did.
Why has he got to go up to his room could he not play where you are maybe he likes company, how old is he,  I think he is asking to stay where you guys are that seems fairly normal to me its like a punishment being sent somewhere you dont want to be .Do you see him all day that you dont want him around in the evening ?"
Hm, interesting dilemma.  How old is he?  Is the problem only with playing in his room--- or would it be different if you sent him to play in the basement or playroom?  My kids have some "quiet" time every day in which they hang in their rooms.  I do this to promote them being able to play independently and entertain themselves and so I can do something like, oh I don't know---  take a shower or something.  It has actually been great because my kids kind of value this time and have found great ways to spend it.  Your son does play elsewhere, so he knows how to play (some kids actually developmentally do not)---  but chooses not too.  Are you just concerned that he isn't using his toys or that something is really wrong?  In asking how old he is, that would tell a lot.  Could you ask him why he doesn't want to play for a while by himself?  I also found just turning the tv off and letting them start playing works really well.  It might not be in his room but if you brought something from his room to your tv room, he may sit there and play with it.  Also maybe a timer so he knows how long he will have to do it if it isn't his favorite activity.  Not sure what is going on here but good luck solving it.