Child Behavior Expert Forum
why do i pick my scabs
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

why do i pick my scabs

I pick my scabs bad!  I remember I had the chicken pox in the first grade and my parents and teachers used to say "stop picking" because i would pick at my chicken pox scabs.  I am now 43 years old female and i have a chronic case of picking my scabs all over my body, but not my face or head, like some others do.  I pick on my arms, legs, hips, stomach, breasts, back, buttocks, everywhere!  I have been on Prozac since 1992 for depression.  and I still have what i call "breakouts" where i pick and pick.  I have about 15 open sores on my body, mostly my upper arms.  I use my fingernails, but have used tweezers, razor blades, pins, and other tools to pick at my skin.  but lately mostly i just use my fingernails.  When i was a little kid, my mom made me wear gloves or mittens on my hands so i wouldn't pick.  I've tried everything:  putting bandaids on, applying lotion and/or creams, cutting my fingernails short, etc....but nothing has preventing me from picking.  One time i picked all of my fingernails and toenails completely off!  I am so disgusted by this behavioir, my family and friends give me guff about it saying i'm going to get an infection or maybe even an amputation.  I am also diabetic so i worry about infections and amputations and also staph infection.  I'm embarrassed and shameful about picking, i try to hide it from people, but in summer time it's hard to hide the scabs.  Another ritual type behavior i have is that once i pick off the scabs i line them up on my leg or table and then i move them around in my hand for a while and then i eventually throw them in the garbage.  I've thought of saving them in a jar just to see how they can accumulate.  Is this weird or what???  Please give me info on why and how to treat this OCD condition.