why does my 10 year old son still poop in pants
I JUST DONT GET IT ! MY SON HAS BEEN POOPING IN HIS PANTS SINCE 5YEARS OF AGE.WE FINALLY TOOK HIM TO A STOMACH PEDATRIC DOCTOR AND HE DID TESTING AND EVERYTHING TURNED OUT TO BE NOTHING WRONG WITH HIM. WE HAVE TRIED REWARDS AND RESTRICTIONS AND BACK TO THE SAME OLD THING HE STILL POOPS IN PANTS, THE THING THAT GETS ME THE MOST IS WHEN HE GOES IN HIS UNDERWARE THE SMELL AND THE FEELING DOES NOT SEEM TO BOTHER HIM ONE BIT. HOW LONG WILL THIS GO ON? THE NUMBERS OF UNDERWARE THAT HAVE BEEN THROWN AWAY JUST TO BUY MORE TO BE THROWN AWAY AS WELL. IT WAS METIONED TO BE THAT THEIR COULD BE EMOTIONAL PROBLEMS WHEN OLDER CHILDREN STILL SOIL IN THEIR PANTS. WHAT EMOTIONAL PROBLEMS COULD THAT BE? PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME FIGURE THIS OUT!

This discussion is related to My 8 year old pees the bed and poops his pants constantly!  Help!.
has anyone ever heard of ENCOPRESIS? This is something I just found out due to my nephew being hospitalised with this condition. It consists of the intestines being back up so bad and packed to the point of the kids honestly not being able to porperly use the toilet because they can't get rid of the pack poop. My nephew was hospitalised for five days and was given a high fibre diet along with sone laxative medication he had to take 2 times a day along with getting enemas and eating lots of fruits and veggies and lots to drink. The way they were with him was he was only allowed to eat for a half hour, then wait 10 mins then go sit on the toilet for ten minutes. A whole week of this along with x-rays and other thing to check him and he finally got out yesturday but this is a condition that he'll have to deal with his whole life. They also used a sticker program with him for pooping and peeing when he did then he would get rewarded somehow. According to his dr's, bananas, cheese and milk product dont bind you up unless you eat too much of it. Consuming it in moderation if fine. So like only 1 banana a day, 1-2 slices a day of cheese, and a cup or two of milk or milk products aday if fine. Anything more than this can bind them up again. Eating fruits like apples, pears, peaches, berries, grapes, etc are all recommended. Veggies like corn, peas, carrots, any type of beans, and whatever else you can think of is fine as well. Meat and potatoes, rice, pasta is all fine as long as you watch what you put on them is absolutely fine. Drinking lots of water, real juice not something like kool-aid is fine, reduce the amount of sugar and salt intake. I hope this information helps you all out there dealing with this problem with your children. There are tests that the dr's can do for ENCOPRESIS so if you think this maybe your childs case for this problem please get them in asap to their family dr. or a pediatrician. Good luck!
My step-son is 6, going on 7. He goes pee by himself just fine, but has lots of poo accidents. When he has an accident, we can smell it. We ask him if there is poo in his pants, or if he needs to go clean up, and he will deny it. Sometimes he knows he pooped is pants but denies it because he is embarrassed.  It's not as extreme as hiding soiled clothes, but I think it's on the same 'shame' continuum. When we take him to the bathroom to get cleaned up, he will get upset because he is mad at himself.

I think that sometimes he honestly doesn't know he has pooped himself; I believe him when he says he doesn't know when he needs to poop. When he was littler, he would hold his poo because he was too busy playing. He would get constipated and the poop would fill his bowel. The bowel then got stretched and the sensation of needing to poo seems to be quite dulled as a result.

We do give him polyethylene glycol (laxative)  and try to include fruits & veggies for good nutrition and fibre. Water and exercise - bike riding, soccer, running around the playground  - are helpful. The trick is keep him having bowel movements so he doesn't get totally backed up and then it gets quite bad. It will take quite a while for his bowel to return to normal.

When he does poop in the toilet, he is very proud of himself. He really wants to poop in the toilet like a big boy, but because he is only 6, and the dulled sensation, it is taking a long, long time.  Punishment for him just seems to make it worse; he feels very ashamed and defeated. He will say things like "I only had one accident today" - he really doesn't want to be a pants-pooper. We do the chart thing and stay positive - no sticker if he has an accident, but also no frowny-face. He says he is embarrassed to go to poop at school because the stalls don't have doors and he wants privacy. He may be reaching the point - given his age and the age of his peers - where the embarrassment of pooping himself is worse than that of going poo in the toilet.

There definitely seems to be some control issues; if we make him sit on the toilet, he gets upset. This may just be a normal 6-year old thing, but I do think there is an element of control at stake for him. At the same time, we are the parents and we set the rules - like sit on the toilet, time for bed, eat your veggies, pick up your toys, etc. To keep the 'you have to sit on the toilet now' from spiralling into a battle, we stay calm and stay "good behaviour gets rewards. Your behaviour is not acceptable". When he gets enough stars for pooping in the toilet, picking up his toys, doing reading homework, etc, he gets a special treat. Not candy! He gets to choose - natural history museum (icky things in jars appeal to little boys) or the discovery centre, etc... This way, he has to earn the special things and it's his choice to do so - goes back to the control thing. He wants the treat and it's his choice to do something about it.

Having read many posts here, I recognize his/our situation is just that - every child and family is different and not everything works for everyone. I do know that hollering and punishing for something I honestly think he has legitimate problems with (due to stretched bowel and dulled sensation) is not helpful for him. Even if a Dr says the child doesn't have a medical problem,  the child may really be telling the truth when they say they don't know when they need to poo or that they have pooed. Having a reflex (eg anal sphincter reacts to examination by Dr) may not be the same thing as the sensation of needing to poo registering with the child.

Some days are better than others and it takes loads of patience (and loads of laundry! ick) but kids need to know their parents love them and believe in them unconditionally.  But, be firm about expectations and acceptable  behabviour, and be consistent.

An excellent post.  Thank you for your comments.
I will add that - for you- its not unusual for kids to fear going to the bathroom at school.  Compound that by not having doors on the stalls, and it is a problem.  I can't believe a school would do that!  Anyway, I would make sure his teacher does know about his problem and that the teacher will let him go during class (when there are not as many kids in the toilet).  I have always been amazed (even as a principal) at how many teachers refuse to let a kid go during class time.
Thank you for sharing! My 9 rear old son has struggled with this issue as well since age 5. Like everyone else we have tried EVERYTHING. I started him on the Premadolphilus for kids four days ago. He has had  BM  every day since. He would typically go every eight days before. I encourage anyone having this problem to try it. The Sneaky Poo book also helped him to realize that he is not the only kid out there struggling.
My son was doing this also plus going pee in his pants. We'll we found out he had a 70 year old bladder, he was diagnosed with urinary incontinence. At age 7 all the doctors wanted to do was give him a cathider which would be for the rest of his life. Being a mom like all mom's it was not going to happen, so i started doing research on the internet. I came across all different things to try & eventually after trying all different ways of trying to help him I did succeed. I had to retrain him to use the rest room, also make sure that he was drinking at least 3 glasses of water a day also had to give him extra fiber & as little sugar as possible. I thank the internet for all the information that is on it or my son would not be where he is today.( He is now 12) I hope all the Mom's that are going through this do research if the doctors tell you that basically their is nothing you can do, cuz 9 out of 10 there is ways to cure this. Thank you for reading this & hope if I didn't help that someones comment will.
                                                                                            Nabunk
I have read this post with great interest, was originally searching for info about my Step dtr, 16. This is fascinating, must be the best kept secret as I have never heard of this happening. But -  No one has come back and posted, well my kid grew out of it or said what happened.
Some had luck with rewards, some didn't. Some had luck with self clean up, some kids don't do it at school, only at home.
Some are embarassed, some are not. But-
  Most all say the kids can't tell when its happening, this must be true, they can't all be coming up with the same story can they?  And if they can't feel it (the poo)  coming out then do they grow out of it? Or learn to control it?
  I just want to add - you are all saints and angels - i go nuts when my dog has an accident, and this is very seldom. If I had to deal with it daily or weekly I would truly go insane.
  Would love to see some follow ups added.

I would recommend that if your child is going through this you investigate whether they have food sensitivities.  I've been doing research and it looks like lactose and gluten sensitivity are both common causes for this kind of problem.  

My son is 9 and has been having poop accidents since he was 5.  All the same type of behaviors that everyone is describing here - streaking in the underwear, hiding soiled underwear, denying he's had an accident when he is sitting in poop and we can smell it, leaving poop in his underwear all day unless he's forced to change.  It is frustrating and terrible, and we tried everything - doctors, specialists, encopresis centers - and kept getting told just to put him on miralax and keep giving it to him.  I don't know whether miralax gives some kind of kickback to doctors and gastroenterologist's, but that was the only solution we were given by multiple doctors and it didn't work.  

Recently someone finally suggested that it might be a problem with gluten.  We took him off of gluten and he didn't have an accident for 6 weeks.  We decided to go back on gluten and he started having accidents again.  It seems like we've finally found the solution, and I just wish one of the many doctors we've seen over the years would have thought of this because they could have saved us years of difficulty.

Hope this is helpful.  Search for "gluten and encopresis" to find more information.
   Very good information - an so easy to try.  Thanks for posting.
Thank you thank you THANK YOU.  I know this is a tough situation for anyone to be in, but I am happy to know I'm not alone.  My boyfriend of 5 years nearly got to the point of leaving me last night over my son's "issue."  He loves me and loves him but wasn't sure how much more he could take.   My boy is also 10 and this has been off and on since he was 3. Many of the same things have gone on for us.  Doctors have been no help, hiding of the underwear, rewards, punishments, making him clean them etc. Nothing has helped.  I do worry that maybe he was abused as a small child because his father (who I left when my son was 1) abused me.  I especially want to  thank all of the teenagers who took the time to respond with sincere posts about their struggles.  Even though this is an anonymous forum, I'm not sure I would have had the guts to do that even as an adult. One thing I didn't see mentioned though, has anyone else had a child that can seem to control WHEN this happens?  I ask because he just spent a week with his grandparents and this issue didn't happen even once, but as soon as he got home it has happened every single day.  And that is pretty common where if he goes somewhere or does something he WANTS to do, I feel maybe he has some control over it.
WE HAVE BEEN ACCIDENT FREE FOR 2 MONTHS STRAIGHT!!!   I struggled with my daughter since she was 5 years old.  She is now 9 years old. Her doctor scared me.  He said he knows adults that have had it and bring another outfit to work.  Crazy!!!!  My sister's son had it and she recommended me to go see a specialists.  That doctor said she was backed up and had me flush her out and put her on senokot-S for 30 days and miralax.  It worked for 2 weeks and then it was bad again.  I have struggled for what seems like forever.  The miralax seems to just make it worse and I never could get the dosage right.  It just didn't work for us.  All of the frustrations that have been posted I have been through.  She did not know why she would do it she did not know how to fix it.  We could not understand why she couldn't fix it etc.  In August the specialist told us that she was no longer compacted and nothing was wrong with her.  So then you think there is something mentally wrong.  It just did not sit right with me.  She has a normal childhood nothing weird or out of the ordinary but she could not feel the poop coming out and of course she was still doing that. Nothing worked until I read about someone on this post that was trying Probiotics so I put together my own treatment and It has WORKED WONDERS.

Answer to my daughters problems:  The Treatment.

I flushed her out really good made sure she was not compacted.  (see the treatment for flushing her out by the doctors or others that have posted)  I think I gave some Miralax and a suppository or enema I can't remember we did so many things before this treatment.  I then gave her 1 1/2 pills, which is what the specialists subscribed to us when she was 7, Senokot-s (kroger brand is what I used) every night DO NOT MISS A NIGHT for 30 days.  I also give her Probiotic.  The gummies I would give 4 each daily 2 in morning 2 at night.  The pills once a day. Culturelle for kids chewable pills is one brand.  The KEY Every morning I would have her sit on the potty.  This was hard to do we had to wake her up 30 min. earlier each morning to give her time to sit.  We let her color do whatever on the potty while she waited for the poop to come.  I would check to make sure it really came out (due to earlier lies).  The senokot-s makes them go so it will come just be patient.  Usually she did not need to sit more than 20 min.  This trained her to go each morning.  After the 30 days I stopped the Senokot-S pills but kept up with the Probiotic pills or gummies and most important the time in the morning to sit and poop.  With her off the senokot-S pills the poop may not be in the morning or everyday.  I have her sit in the mornings, most of the time she goes then but if she doesn't I have her sit after school.  If she does not go everyday that is o.k. but if she does not go by the 3rd day I give her the Senokot-S pill and she will go that morning again. You don't want to have them get compacted again.   In the 1 month since she was off the senokot-s  I have only had to do that once.  We started the treatment on November 1, 2012.  She might of had one accident on November 3rd because I was out of town, her siblings said she stunk so I'm not sure.  But since then NO ACCIDENTS!!!  Oh my goodness how much better do we all feel (the whole family).  It was really hard on everyone.  I wanted to share this to make sure that if someone was looking this may be the answer you have been looking for.   It has been a big help to me!!!  
I am currently 25 years old and had this problem until the age of 10. Luckily for me my parent's didn't punish me or yell at me for this, instead they tried a few different approaches to help me get rid of the problem. From around the age of 4 until I was roughly 10-11 years old I had this problem. For me it was simple constipation and I would put off having to go to the bathroom until I couldn't hold it in anymore. I had a fear it would hurt. Things like being in the restroom would cause me anxiety and I wouldn't feel comfortable unless I was somewhere else (which is when I would soil my underpants). My parents put me in counseling and while this didn't solve my problem it did help me down the road with other things (i'm a huge believer in counseling for everyone). What eventually broke my pattern was quite simple, every single day my father would make me drink a glass of medimucil in front of him. He told me it would make me healthy and go to the bathroom and it did! The other thing that got me to break my habit was a neighborhood girl that I developed a crush on and who liked me back. I felt shame about my behavior for the first time and wanted to change it for myself. Now I'm not saying you need to shame your child but what I do believe is finding a way to motivate them to change their behavior along with a healthy habit like drinking a glass of medimucil everyday I hope this helps
I have a problem with direct punishment go does it solve underlying problems and my son is extremely ashamed anyway. I will do almost anything so if o an convince me it will work and not do harm I'd like to know.  
If a child is doing it out of stress don't you think the thought of death might make it worse?
I will give a lot of thought, my son has had a troubled life and none of this would surprise me.
I read through mostly all the answers here. I have a serious problem with my nine year old. About a 2 months ago she started "soiling" her pants. She has never been abused and we have a happy home. As a baby she was awesome took to potty training like a natural. Never wet the bed at all. I'm concerned because not only is she "soiling" she is also using the trash can as her toilet. She has no issue urinating in the toilet just with her bowls. I have sat her down and talked to her a dozen times and all she keeps saying to me is " she can't make it in time.." I have tried the pull ups them seem not to work. Bought new underwear every week. I just have no idea how to approach this without trying reverse psychology and just plain out telling her she's not a baby. I have have tried scheduling bathroom breaks but it still happens... I just do not know what to do.
My son has been pooping his pants for 3 years and it was getting worse. I took him to the doctor and a shrink. Then I found out he had a gluten sensitivity and we are in the process of finding out if he has celiacs. I have noticed a huge change since I have taken gluten out of his diet!!! I cannot express how much stress this caused in our life for so long. I would suggest for any one with this problem to get them tested or remove gluten its tuff but so worth it!!!
Just reading your post.  Are you still dealing with this issue?  I am in the same situation.  I would love to chat with you more about it.  Hope to hear a response from you.  Suzy
Hi I'd like to add my name to the long list of frustrated parents here.  I have a lovely highly intelligent 11 year old boy who.. well you've no doubt read my story more then once here.  The school nurse keeps insisting we go to  specialist, tho my family doctor seems to feel he will out grow it.  The phychiatrist we went to seems to think he will out grow it.  I thought he had outgrown it since he went for nearly nine months without an incident only to start up again.  Sigh, very frustrating, and scary since the school nurse seems to feel that I am ignoring it.  I have spent more nights than I want to think about sitting in the toilet with him waiting for him to poop so there will be no leakage the next day at school.  I have two other kids without this problem.  
     Is he in middle or elementary school?  Sometimes, the bathroom situation for kids at school is just not that good and they try to hold it till they get home.
   Also, several posters above mentioned having gluten in the diet was the problem and when that was removed - it stopped.
Elementary.  I had thought about the bathroom situation, but he does it at home on the weekends and during summer break.,  I have done the charts the rewards the miralax and so far the only thing that has worked is requiring that I go sit in the bathroom with him until he goes (he lies about going, and hides the evidence like everyone else's kids do).  Trust me after three years of sitting in the bathroom with him I wish there was some miracle solution here, but so far I have not found it.  And if I slack up on going in with him at all, he goes right back to having accidents at school.  It is just frustrating!!  And I have two other kids, a job a yard and house to maintain and a side business, something or someone inevitably gets neglected which is frustrating as well.  At least thru this forum I now know that I am not the only parent dealing with this issue.  I also recently found out that a male cousin on my estranged husband's side of the family did this for a number of years as well.
      You mentioned Miralax - so is he constipated?  Is that why it takes so long for him?
       By the way, I doubt that you have had the time to go through all 140 or so posts here - but some of them are very helpful!  Unfortunately, I can't remember all of the ones, but these are good.   Two good ones from Sept 11 and 14, 2012. Also,  Dec 22, 2012, May 21, 2012
My son too has encopresis. I just discovered that it's an actual disorder yesterday. I'd thought he just got wound up in his playing and didn't want to take time to go to the bathroom. He's almost 8 and often passes part of his stool. The thing is he is not constipated. He regularly goes to the bathroom. Plus it tends to happen only when he's active. When we're at home he rarely has accidents. I always got mad at him saying it's impossible not to feel poo coming out and a dirty bottom. He always said he couldn't feel it. Often I hear that this disorder is due to stress or abuse. My son is a really calm and social boy. What can we do about the problem though?

He is also a bed wetter. Two problems in 1! He's never been dry at night since I potty trained him as a toddler. We are now working on this problem too. We read Alicia Eaton's book, Dry in 7 days. So far we haven't been dry in the 7 days that I took the pull ups off him. I ordered a bedwetting alarm and we'll try this too. He has never shown that the problem really bothers him. But he has asked his little brother how he stopped wetting the bed and he is also very motivated to try to stop.
Does anyone have suggestions?
The problem is called encopresis and is physical in nature because of constipation. It usually starts with holding it (whatever reason they do this for). The constipated mass causes pressure on the nerves so they can not feel their need to go and the bowel content will leak pass the mass. I recommend a program called "soiling solutions". It was an answer to my prayers after years of struggling with this. A bowel flora supplement like "Flora Bear" also helps. Love your child. They really can not feel it when they need to go. Humiliating them will only add to their problems  - they need your help and support. You can overcome this together! My son is ten and after years of struggling with different suggestions our problems are now over. Praise be to GOD!
Hi, I know this is a late response, but my son also since the age of 5, he is now 13 does it and does the same thing your child did or does. After speaking with numerous people, medical professionals, etc, I am left with very few answers or suggestions. Some sort of physical or sexual abuse can contribute to this happening. When my son was younger, he witnessed domestic abuse and physical abuse to his brother's. While I was at work, my children were being tormented by my youngest sons father. Of course, after we split up is when certain thing's came out. I hope you and your child are well and maybe hear back from you on his current situation
A lot of parents are in denial about the possibility of their child being physically or emotionally abused- they can also be in denial about sexual abuse.  No one wants to think that these evil thing apply to them. It's always easier to just sweep it under the rug instead of facing that someone could be abusing your child and that person could even be your spouse.  If you are that kind of CO-DEPENDENT person and brush things off without really facing them, then you are just as much the problem as the abusing parent. Sometimes the evidence is staring at you right in the face but the co-dependent chooses to turn a blind eye.  That is the WORST thing you can do. So suck it up, quit whining and feeling sorry for yourself...do your research and get your head out of your *** long enough to get the abuser out of their life.  Because no human should ever have authority over another!  You can handle it... there's plenty of single parents out there that have a much more easier time raising their kids when there isn't an abuser in the home.  If you don't take care of this now, you will regret it later!
And it seems as if the majority of posts are about boys on here... if a boy were molested, how would it have been done to them?.... what could it physically damage? Even if it didn't physically damage them... pooping on themselves can help keep the perpetrator away.  I'm not saying this applies in "every" situation but at least do the research and make sure this is not the case.
These social behaviors sound like Aspergers or another mild form of Autism. Many with Aspergers also have ADD or ADHD. My partner's son has the pooping issue and has been diagnosed with Aspergers. He exhibits the same behaviors. no eye contact, if you ask a direct question he gets uncomfortable, often says I don't know until he is comfortable to answer.  We believe that the Aspergers has also spawned the pooping issue, in that he gets so absorbed into what he is doing that he will not stop to use the bathroom. We think and are waiting to see a doctor that he may have Encorpesis. He had a problem with really hard BMs. the doctor put him on stool softeners, but he is still pooping his pants. I explained to him that He may not know that he has to go, but sitting in it is dangerous to his health, and will cause issues at school. So far no accidents at school, we told him even if he does not feel like he has to go when they get bathroom breaks to go and sit anyway. He still has small accidents, but for 2 weeks not a full out poop. he notices the poop and goes straight to the bathroom now. We also make him clean out his own undies, not as a punishment but so that he understands the work involved with cleaning up after him. We went from full loads in his pants to small accidents that are not near as hard to deal with as a full load.
My 10 year old grandson has this problem. I really think he just gets too busy and doesn't go to the bathroom. My problem is that he denies he has dirty pants and will stau in them all day! His Mom and Dad ignore it but since Iam the caregiver while they work, I make him change his pants. Hope he is not 17 and still pooping his pants!!
this seems to be my schedule also and with 3 other children its crazy insane and I never catch it till its to late...i have learnt through reading this im gonna try a hand held game in the bathroom and see how that works...i feel so relieved im not the only parent going through this and all of you are in my prayers, but i really did think it was just us.
what medicine is your child on and i have the same problem with my son and i think that stress has a lot to do with it my son is with me for 5 days then back with his father for another 5 days and things are not consecutive i am hoping and praying that in time it will all go away but i dont see that happening because of everything he has been thru just like when i get stressed out i go smoke a cigarette he gets upset and poops in his pants or will do it just to get attentions whether the attention is negative or positive he dont care... Please if anyone has any advice for me feel free to post a comment for me
Maybe some can help me......ive been dealing with these issues a lot longer than most of you.....my son is now 17 and still has encopresis.  He has been diagnosed at the age of 2 with ADHD, he has aggressive behavior, Oppositional defiant disorder and now they added Asperger/bipolar....I have heard  maybe he is lazy, could he have been molested, does he have a bowel obstruction, ....I have exhausted every resource and refuse to give up on him......I have never encountered this type of problem that lasts this long and no one seems to know what to do and no one can offer help.....any medical treatment facility in our area  for kids have since closed or don't know either....im losing my hair as we speak .....my stomach is in disarray...and I cry a lot....someone....please advise me if you know of anything I can do for him to help him lead a productive life.....
It is a great relief to see that we are not the only ones having this issue. Our adopted nine-year-old son has just started pee and pooping himself. He mostly pees, but he will do it in the store, at school, in the car, at home, and anywhere else. He will then try to hide it and lie about it. He has shoved soiled clothes in with clean clothes in his closet and on top of the dryer.
We have tried everything from punishment (mainly for the lying and hiding dirty clothes in clean), rewards, pull-ups, frequent restroom breaks, and doctors visits. All the doctor suggested was counseling. We just finished a round of counseling in September and he refused to talk then, so I don't see how it will help this time either. He says he doesn't care about it at all. He does have ADHD but he is on medicine for that and it is controlled. He behaves well at school and makes all A's and B's.
I am not sure what else to do!
     Ashlely, in her book,  "The ADD/ ADHD Answer book," by Susan Ashley (about $12 on Amazon), says that kids with ADHD are 3 times more likely to have wetting accidents then kids without ADHD.   Basic reason is that they will focus on something and not notice the urge until its too late and then since they do tend to do things without thinking - they let it go.
   Like all behavioral methods for ADHD, routine is very important.
   Probably the biggest help for you will be to figure out when this is happening.  During or right after playing video games?  His meds have worn or are wearing off?  The timing is important because then you can start a bathroom routine or check his med schedule.
  I would stop the punishments.  It Obviously hasn't helped too much anyway.  What you do want him to do is to let you know when he has had an accident so he won't then lie about or try to hide it.  The only way this will work is to not punish.  If anything lightly/slightly reward for letting you know.
   School wise - he is at an age where going poop in the bathroom where bigger kids are (during recess or lunch) can be scary.  Its not unusual for kids to hold it out of fear of the restroom.  The teacher can help here (if thats part of the problem) by letting him go during classtime.
  Hope this helps!
Thank you my son is 18 and does the same thing he hides it under his bed and in his pants leg, he seem to be collecting it. I have tried everything he started at 16, I told him if it continues he will have to leave my home. I am so frustrated and don't know what to do. Thank you for sharing I will be taking him to a therapist.
   He doesn't  need a  therapist he needs a good  gastroenterologist.  He probably has the medical condition called encopresis.  While the following link is aimed more at children it has a lot of info on encopresis and explains the problems it presents.   http://www.practicalgastro.com/pdf/November02/LoeningBauckeArticle.pdf
Try this ebook, it's been very helpful for our family: http://www.dulwichcentre.com.au/beating-sneaky-poo-1.pdf
My son has had issues with bowel movements since birth. He couldn't go when he was little because it was so HUGE, so the Dr gave him medicine so soften his stool. He was scared and would hold it until he couldn't any more and he would some times have small accidents. I felt so bad because he would scream because it hurt. Then around the age of six, he started to poop his pants ( more like skid marks), which I thought he was just being lazy. He's now 9 and we have tried EVERYTHING!!!! I make him sit on the toilet every morning and night. I keep him away from diary because that seemed to hurt his stomach, but it seems to be getting worse. I'm finding his underwear stuffed under his bed or in drawers. I try to talk with him and he just says he didn't know he had to go?!?! I keep telling him I don't want people to smell him and I asked if it still hurts like it did when he was little, but he says no. I don't know what else to do?  HELP!
Check out this link.  It should be helpful.  Oh,  and do let your doc know what is going on.
      http://www.practicalgastro.com/pdf/November02/LoeningBauckeArticle.pdf
Hi ! Thanks so much about your reply.My grandson is 13 and he is doing these.We are desperate and concern.Your input is a great helpThanks!
This is exactly what my 9 1/2 year old son does. He was completely potty trained at 2. He had his first surgery at 2 1/2 and that's when it started. He has had 9 surgeries and the problem got worse each time. It's so embarrassing and the kids at school call him "stinky" behind his back. He won't even admit that the other children can smell the poop. He insists that he hasn't soiled himself all the while smelling like an outhouse. When I bet him (if he hasn't, he gets a treat. If he has he loses a privilege) he is actually very surprised to find out he has soiled himself. I'm at my wits end. He has ADHD and Oppositional Disorder, they also think he might have a sensory issue. He is actually a very sweet boy, very empathetic. I love him so much! I need to help him so that he isn't teased his whole life. Have you had any luck since your post?
Mine is now thirteen and things are better.  A small daily dose of miralax helped and I do mean small 1/4 teaspoon. Consistent monitoring of his bathroom habits.  Also he is a bit older and better able to understand and communicate what is going on. Like if his stool gets hard we go back on the miralax for a couple of days and it generally gets better.  Long hard road, not sure we are done, but I will say getting mad and punishing is not the route.  
   Thank You!  Beating sneaky poo is a great pamphlet.  It is much easier to understand then any thing I have recommended.  
  You have alot of courage to write in and I thank you so much. My grandson is 10 and has been through a lot with my self grandma bringing him up for 4 years then his parents taking over only to break up again, then back to me for another 6 months then his father took him only to get married again. They have tried very hard with him . With my push he has been to 3 Doctors he was dianosed with ADD and ADHD he is on medicine and taking therapy. Still no better. I love him so much But can't find the right help for him!!!!
I think as a parent you did what you felt was best and I applaud you! More parents should try your method, however it did not work for me!  
I have lived with a kid that did that . It is difficult. I believe autisum is a demon . I'd wake to go to work an the smell of **** every where. An he, have 1/2 hr showers . He was my exs 13 ur old boy not mine .i new he wud be living at home all his life. So I left I cudnt handle it. If I tryed to correct him my ex said don't talk to my son like that. So I left.
My daughter is 10yrs of age and pooping and smearing still she is autistic and refuses nappies throws them somewhere she's always doing this we are not really sure if she's autistic because she's not diagnosed but we have this running away case too seriously children are big enough it's pretty strange when they just poop themselves
My son does all of this. I looked up online what could cause the pooping. It looks like he doesnt feel it. What happens is that when they are little, they get constipated and don't wanna poop because it hurts. Holding it causes their colon to stretch and damages the nerves in the butt. Once the colon is stretched, they have a lot of poop and it does sneak out--they dont feel it. The colon will unstretch in time, but it takes time. Looks like I need to give him fiber gummies to help him go easier and drink more water. Its called Encopresis. They dont feel it. It takes time to get them back on a regular poop schedule because their colon is stretched. Be patient--they cant help it.
There are many issues that are possible. Look up Encopresis, also irritable bowel syndrome. I think the emotional part of it stems from the embarassment, shame, and frustration of having this happen. Either medical problem has the same issue--they don't feel it come out. It has to be a heavy burden for them to carry. Perhaps the comments that they don't care is their way of dealing with it. They do care. And you care or you wouldn't be looking it up. Start with the fiber gummies. The medical sites do say it will take a long time for the colon to stretch back to normal. Sounds like the solution takes a lot of time--accidents or set-backs will happen.
He doesnt smear it--that is probably another issue. Maybe it goes along with the embarrassment and frustration. Not sure. Still sounds like the Encopresis (medical condition from constipation--colon stretched from holding the poop at some point).
   Very good answer.  Thank you for taking the time to respond.
My 12 year old granddaughter poops in her pants and sometimes. She hides her dirty underwear. I have to go looking for them in drawers and bags in her closet. She has adhd but was tested and is not autistic. She doesn't care about brushing her hair or putting on deodorant. Help! I'm at my wits end.
Well, the fact that she hides her soiled underwear probably means that she is ashamed.  If you don't want her to hide the underwear, then you have to let her know its no big deal.
   As to why.  One typical reason is that she is at an age when going into the bathrooms is kind of scary.  I assume she is in 6th grade and thus one of the youngest kids.   Typically, they try and avoid the bathrooms until it is too late.
    Another reason is that she has ADHD.  It is very typical to hyper focus on something until its too late.
   And at age 12 it is not unusual to not be real concerned about brushing hair and deodorant.  That will happen later on.  Plus, its pretty easy for a kid with ADHD to get distracted or be running late for school and just not get around to the hygiene stuff.   Some parents post a check list of things that need to be done in the bathroom.   Check out this link and especially the comments below the link to see that you are not the only one going through this.  http://www.additudemag.com/adhdblogs/4/8003.html
  Hope this helps.
I have an 11 yrs old granddaughter that still messes herself and does not seem to care. She lies about doing it and hides her messy clothes.
This discussion was closed by the MedHelp Community Moderation team. If you have any questions please contact us
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.