Child Behavior Expert Forum
why does my 6 yr old son suffer mood swings?

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

My six year old son has instances where he does not listen when I ask him to do/not to do something. He becomes very defiant and quite agressive, he contorts his face and stomps his feet, waves his arms whilst shouting. When I try to reason with him he looks straight through me and is unable to stand still on the spot and avoids eye contact. Most of the time he is a loving caring little boy, I have no reports from school about his behaviour however friends have witnessed his outbursts and don't think its normal. If my partner is around he is normally very good at calming the situation, my son is sent to the bathroom for a short while, sometimes he goes quitely, sometimes not. After a short period in the bathroom he has usually calmed down and it is then explained to him why his behaviour was inappropriate. (if we are out and about we are unable to do this). If I am on my own I have great difficulty getting him to the bathroom. It really gets me down when he behaves like this what can you suggest
To address the behavior management question, I endorse your use of time out, but you may need to be a bit more systematic about how you implement time out. For a reliable, useful guide about this, read SOS: Help for Parents, authored by Lynn Clark. Now, it may be that all your son requires is some sound behavior management. It's hard to tell from your description if his behavior indicates a 'normal spectrum' child behavior problem or is indicative of emotional disorder (Disruptive behavior Disorder, Mood Disorder, e.g.). It would certainly not hurt to arrange an evaluation.
1 Comment
A related discussion, similar patterns was started.