Child Behavior Community
worried about a problem

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

worried about a problem

i have a 8 yr old daughter. and four the past few months she has been caught hupping on thing. such as a pillow,stuffed toyes, etc. is this a normal behavier and if so what can i do to make i stop. can this also be masterbation (masturbation)????please help
It does sound like it could be masterbation (masturbation) - What types of things does she watch on TV????  She could be imitating something she saw - You know TV is all about sex sex sex now a days and a lot of young girls look up to these people and want to be like them so maybe she is acting something out - You may want to approach her calmly and ask her - See what she says.  Good luck to you.  
this is probably the first time i have ever told this to anyone. but as a child i have done the same thing since i was five years old. i dont know the meaning of hupping. but now that i grew up, i know that what i was doing was a form of masterbation (masturbation). i did it with my pants on. not clothes off ofcourse. i put my hands in between my legs and squeezed and moved back and forth kind of. i grew  up thinking that something is wrong with me. why do i do that. i just knew that it feels good. i grew up in iran. so sex on t.v was not something we ever saw. i didnt learn it from anythign . just discovered it and have done it until i lost my virginity at 20. then i just stopped. but when i was a kid, my mom was the only one who knew what i was doing and she would sometimes catch me in action and smack me and tell me if i do this again, she would take me to the doctor. but we never really talked about it. i dont think she even knew what i was doing at that time and she just knew it wasnt right. i havent ever spoken to this about my mom and until now that i am 26, it was never brought up. but i hope i have given you some answers. its not necessarily something shes learned from t.v. but i think its time you sit down and talk to her about it. dont make her feel that its a bad thing and shes alone. pleeease let me know what happens for this also helps me too .
Humping is a form of masterbation (masturbation).  You know what feels good when you are with your partner--children sometimes figure this out accidently and then keep doing cause it feels good--or maybe one of her girlfriends told her about it and they discovered it.  It is not bad--just let her know that she needs to do it in the privacy of her own room.
i also did some research and you should check this out.
www.mccarehouse.net/Child%20Sexual%20Behavior.pdf
At the age of 8, your dd should have some things explained to her.  You dont have to go into detail about sexuality but you can talk to her about her body and what feels good, what shouldnt be touched by anyone else, etc.  Let her know that what she is doing is not wrong but should be done in private.  Teaching her about privacy and her body is just the start of lots of future talks.  Best wishes to you.