Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Drinking Excessive Water

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Drinking Excessive Water
Hi, I've a 1yr old baby and these days he is drinking excessive water. He is only taking water & milk and no more diet. If we wont give him water then he cries like anything, he prefer water instead of milk.
Please suggest, shall we consult doctor or its the normal phenomenon for the small baby.
Looking forward for the immediate response from the panel of child specialist.
Mani
Would you please state your baby's height and weight (in kg or lbs.) so I am able to appropriately answer your question. Thank you.
This isn't normal to me. I would ask a doctor. I have a 7 yr old and a 7 month old and my oldest never did that. Maybe your child was so used to formula that he doesn't like milk. But I would ask a doctor because too much water could give him water poisoning. Plus your child needs something with nutrients to keep him growing and healthy and water can't give him everything he needs. Good Luck!
The baby's weight is 10.5 kg and actual height is approx 100 cm approx Thanks for the response from your end and looking forward for the immediate response from your end.
From your measurements, your son's height is within normal limits for his age and weight is only slightly under for his age. Has he loss any weight from drinking the water? He is at an age that he can have finger foods, which I would try to start introducing to him. I suggest you feed him food without drinks or a bottle so possibly he would eat the food and not fill up with fluid. It is good he drinks water, however, there are no nutrients in water to help him grow and gain weight. Try to give him nutrient dense drinks, such as Pedisure and use the mixture 1/2 pedisure and 1/2 water in a sippy cup so he gets the water, he likes, and also benefits from the pedisure. If he accepts that mixture, in a week or so, try to add more pedisure and less water. Continue this until he is drinking all pedisure and no water. Wait a month or so then introduce water in very small amounts in a sippy cup. Hopefully by then he is eating food more too. Hope this helped you.
Hi Renee, We have tried giving him pediasure but he wont prefer to have the same. So we are giving him white grapes juice, peer juice, apple juice (sometime he takes), pulses, vegetables, milk with Bournvita. Last time we spoke to his doctor and he told me he is doing good in terms of height and weight both and coming weekend I again took an doctor's appointment for him. Drinking excessive water is symptom of sugar. We are Vegterian so we wont prefer to give him non veg food. What else we can try, please let me know.
Have you tried the method I suggested, the Pedisure is watered down? Pedisure is from a plant source. Is your child urinating frequently? If he is, I suggest you have your child checked by his MD to rule out diabetes.