Child Nutrition Expert Forum
8 year old daughter keeps gaining weight

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

My daughter will be 8 years old in a week and has gained a significant amount of weight, especially around her tummy, arms and face. She has gained 10 lbs since school has started with the majority being since November where she has gained 8 lbs. I really try to monitor what she eats/drinks. She is not very active at all but have tried to promote healthy choices in eating and some exercise such as walking, playing WiiFit. How many calories should she be consuming a day and what kind of restrictions do I place in order for her to lose weight?
Is your child male or female?
:  
Female
What is your child's height?
:  
51 1/4 inches
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
78 lbs
Her weight is just below the 95th percentile and her height is between 75th - 50th percentiles for her age. She is still in normal range for her age. Her needs increase as she grows and then levels off after she stops growing (after 18 years old). For an 8 year old they need approximately 1800-2000 calories a day. If you are concerned about her weight then it is recommended to increase children's physical activities. Have your child go do running, walking, sports, and etc. Limit time in front of the TV or non-active-video / computer games. There have been studies showing the longer the length of time a child sit in front of the TV / computer/ video games, the greater the weight gain. Suggest you do limit high sugar drinks/snacks and replace with low-fat milk/yogurt or fresh fruit/air-popped popcorn/low-fat cheese. High sugar drink and snacks do not give the child nutrients they need. Eat low fat meats (chicken, fish, loin of pork) or non-meat sources (soy products, nuts), low fat vegetarian combinations (rice & beans, pasta & beans, low fat cheese & pasta), Low fat dairy or substitute dairy products (1 or 2% milk, low fat or non-fat yogurt, low fat soy milk/soy yogurt), use plant oils, non trans-fat margarines, and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Eat daily high fiber breads and cereals (oatmeal). Hoped this helped you.
1 Comment
My daughter 8 year old she is overweight and got stretch marks under her arms and waiste. How can I help her to lose weight