Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Afraid to eat solid food

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Afraid to eat solid food

My daughter stopped eating solid food on four days ago. We took her to the doctor and she was examines, but everything was fine. It started 2 weeks ago when she thought she was choking, since then she would chew and ear most of her food, but occasionally she would start crying amd spit it out. Now she won't eat any solid food. When she tries, it is a small amount and she will chew and start crying and spits it out. She tells me there is something in her throat and complains of an upser stomach. I am giving her pediasure, yogurt mixed with milk, and broths. What can I do? What should I give her until this passes, if it does?
Is your child male or female?
:  
Female
What is your child's age?
:  
4 1/2
What is your child's height?
:  
40 inches
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
36 lbs
Suggest giving her soft foods, like yogurt, puddings, mashed potatoes, finely chopped meats, creamed vegetables, creamed noodles, etc. so she does not have to chew much and she is able to eat. It is great that you are giving her Pediasure for the calories. Her throat may be sore and possibly swollen from the 'choking' incident so she may feel like something is in her throat. If it continues for after a week or so, recommend having her checked by her doctor again. Thank you for your question.