Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Baby Stomach

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Baby Stomach
My child why just turned 3 still has his baby belly.  Very large and reminds me of a budda statue.  Should I be worried??  He dosen't seem to have any health issues.  He was 2 months premature.
Usually children loss their 'baby' fat as they become active around 1-3 years old. From your measurements his weight is below the 5th percentile for his age. Recommended the following food guidelines for his age: Fruits (limit fruit juices) = 1.5 cups; Vegetables 2.5 cups; Grains (cereals, breads) = 6oz equivalents; Meat & beans = 5oz equivalents; Dairy products (milk, yogurt) = 3 cups; Oils = 5 tsp; Additional calories to be used discretionary = 195. This food needs to be divided up between 3 meals and snacks between meals daily. Suggest giving him yogurt smoothies (yogurt and fruit blended together) and/or milkshakes (milk, fruit, and ice cream blended) in place of milk for all meals and snacks for additional calories to incur weight gain and growth. Hoped this helped you.