Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Can't gain weight

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Can't gain weight

I need some help. My son is 9 years old and only weights 38 lbs he is about 3"2 to 3"4 in height. He has ADHD and is on Focalin xr 10mg 1 in the am and 5 mg in the pm. The Dr. also has him on buspirone 10 mg 2x aday. I have tried everything to put weight on him. We have had him on protien shakes made with whey protein, eggs, ice cream,milk, bananas, and peanut butter. The Dr, told us to give him whatever he wants when he wants it. So my fiance will give him honey buns with peanut butter on them and whatever else he wants. But he also does not like to finish everything. So I have told him he must finish everything before we will give him more. He goes through times where he will eat and then some days very little. I am at my wits end trying to figure this out. Someone told me to try Weight Gainer but I don't know if I should or what else to do. Please Help me.
Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
What is your child's age?
:  
9 years old
What is your child's height?
:  
3"4
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
38 lbs
His weight is below the 3rd percentile for his age. Suggest giving him the protein shakes you are making 2-3 times a day and continue with them. It can be frustrating with 'Picky' eaters but there is no rhythm or reason why they eat or don't eat. The most important aspect is to RELAX at meals and let him eat what he wants. If you try to introduce new foods, sometimes it takes 5-9 times to introduce a food that he will accept. If he do not want it you have to not make a fuss and let it go. Give him the food he likes. Hoped this helped you.