Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Chia Seeds for Pre-Teen Boy

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Chia Seeds for Pre-Teen Boy

My 12-year-old son wears glasses and wants to start wearing contact lenses.  Our ophthalmologist said that my son has dryness and irritation of the eyes that would make wearing contacts miserable.  He said that taking fish oil capsules would help.  My son's pediatrician said that fish oil is fine, but to make sure that it is Omega-3 only and not Omega-6.  Would Omega-6 somehow be harmful?  Also, I read that chia seeds provide many of the same benefits as fish oil and that they are healthier simply because they are seeds and not an oil.  Is it okay for a 12-year-old to eat chia seeds as a nutritional supplement?
Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
What is your child's age?
:  
12
What is your child's height?
:  
between 5'4" and 5'5"
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
unsure
Omega-6 seems to hinder omega-3 actions in the body so it is better to have pure omega-3 source/supplement in fish oil or other sources, such as, nuts, flax seeds, or chia seeds. Suggest daily intake of an omega-3 source. Hoped this helped you.