Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Constipation

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Constipation

I have a few questions, but here is a brief summary of my daughter and the problem. She is 20 weeks old and she was getting constipated so I started putting Karo syrup in her formula [1 tsp per bottle] and switched her to Low-iron Similac. Is that okay?

Also, she is still up twice a night, how much longer will that last? The final thing I'm wondering is about her does of inactivated poliovirus vaccine because I was told I have to get it before my daughter can.

My daughter was having two bowel movements per day until about 2 weeks ago, she went 2 days with out a BM and still strains at times.

I just stopped nursing 2-3 weeks ago, could that be having an affect on her digestion?

Thank You,
Melissa
Tags: bowel
The formula with iron does constipate some infants. I do not recommend you put Karo syrup in her formula. That will not help constipation at all and it is putting sugar into her body. Infants feed breast-milk will have more bowel movements then with formula. The low-iron formula may help. How often is she feeding during the day and how much formula is she consuming? I would be able to recommend how much formula to give her if I knew her weight. If she is feeding every 2-3 hours, you may want to increase her formula by a few ounces. That may help her sleep more at night. Best of luck.