Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Could diet be a problem for outbursts of anger and frustration?

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

I am having issues with food. My oldest daughter -age 7 was a good eater ( up to 18 months old) but has become an EXTREMELY picky eater since then. She has also lost interest in things she used to eat last year.  She DOES NOT eat veggies and if I attempt at trying there is always a tantrum or crying which disrupts dinner or whatever meal we are eating. I basically cook 2 meals. My youngest daughter (almost 6) eats everything my hubby and I eat. I am now thinking that her behavior has something to do with sugar intake. We limit what she eats as far as sugar but the things she only eats have sugar. Cereal, waffles, w syrup, vanilla yogurt, mac and cheese, Pasta ( rarely with red sauce), Peanut butter on wheat Bread, chicken breast -grilled or chicken fingers. The only fruit she'll eat are green apples and green grapes. She'll eat corn but that is a starch- so not that much nutrition there. No potatoes but will have fries.

She is on carbo load and I need some advice...she get's angry and is VERY stubborn. Thanks for any advice.
Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
What is your child's height?
:  
44"
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
43 pounds
Children do go through phases. Has something drastic happen in the household that has upset her and she is acting out in this manner? Usually children who are picky eaters start at an earlier age but it can occur at anytime. Some of the food she is eating is healthy such as vanilla yogurt, peanut butter on wheat bread, grilled chicken breast, apples, grapes, and Mac & cheese (complete protein meal). If you change the cereal to a whole grain cereal with milk, then it would be a healthy choice.
If she is eating yogurt, try making yogurt smoothies (2 containers of yogurt & frozen fruit). If she would not take the fruit then make milkshakes with the yogurt and ice cream. Children love to cook. Have her help you with preparing foods and setting the table. Have her help you make the milkshakes or yogurt smoothies. Hopefully this will increase her interest in food. The most important thing is to relax. Mealtimes can be a battlefield when children do not have an interest to eating healthy or eat very little. It becomes the battle of the wits between the child and the parents. Relax at meals and let her eat what she wants. Slowly introduce new foods, and if he does not want it, do not make a fuss over it. Let it go and enjoy your meal.