Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Daughter Overweight

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Daughter Overweight

My 9-year old daughter is 115 pounds and 55 inches tall.  She has always been in the highest percentiles for weight & height in her age group, even as a baby.

I have a big concern about her eating.  She wants to eat large quantities, and wants to eat all the time.  I limit it, but I worry about her developing an eating disorder or something by focusing so much on what she eats.  I feel like I'm always nagging.

How can I help her eat less, without giving her a complex?
It is recommended to increase children's physical activities to loss weight, and not lower calorie intake due to the need of calories for growth. Have your child go and play outdoors, run, walk, and dance. Limit time in front of the TV or non-active-video games. There have been studies showing the longer the length of time a child sit in front of the TV, the greater the weight gain. I suggest you do limit high sugar drinks/snacks and replace with low fat milk/yogurt or fruit/vegetables/popcorn. High sugar drink and snacks do not give the child nutrients they need. If she is really hungry, after a meal, then try “empty calorie" snacks, such as diet jello or air popped pop-corn. Thank you for your question.
Hi my daughter is 11 years old, 5ft and weighs 10 stone 5. I really understand what your saying but 2 weeks ago i decided that enough was enough. I threw all the dinner plates away and bought smaller ones, this still gives the illusion that the plate is full and it is but just a smaller portion , and every day after dinner she has 5 different fruits with a scoop of ice cream & this seems to have worked. My daughter doesnt eat all the time but dosent like to drink??? but half an hour before mealtime i tell her she has to have a glass of water  or no desert. This way she is getting the fluid she needs and the fluid is stopping her eating so much as she feels full sooner, and 9 out of ten times leaves some on the plate but still can have desert as its healthy

Hope this helps  
I understand you are not ment to lower calorie intake for growth, but if a child is eating more than they are ment to surely it should be cut down to what they are ment to have ?..
Also as my daughter is overweight she dont want to do any exercise or go play outside as she cant keep up with the other kids and the inside of her legs rub together, she would rather read than go out , so what do you do......?
Please ask your question through the forum as a new question. Thank you.
I found this answer helpful too - thanks!