Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Eating Issue

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Eating Issue

To start off my wife is 90lbs 4" 11" and was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and stuck strictly to her diet and was was taking glyburide.. My daughter is now 2 weeks old. Upon delivery she was rushed to ICU due to oxygen levels in the isolet ranging from 70-94 before/after aspiration..Icu guy says I dont like her color(nothing wrong with her color) they hook up oxygen and all sensors etc and shes fine and off of everything in like 4 days tops..they insist on feeding through ng tube since birth basically(iv first) they insist she needs to take  x amount of formula..eventually she works up to 60ml consistently on her feeding while they still force another 30-35 with the ng tube..the antibiotic course they had run on her for seven days was all well and done..she went consistently taking 60 ml a feeding and did it 6 of 8 feeding..then abruptly @ day 11 she began to vomit 3 feedings up in a row..they then put her under a battery of test for lower gi upper gi AND find nothing except she had poop not impacted in her but plenty to say hmm..the gastroentonolist recommends more frequent feedings @ smaller amounts..they now start the process over again...well lets start her with 20ml blah blah blah..they havent given any lapse or refrain from the force feeding nor have they tried increase feeding times versus every 3 say 2@60 etc..and her body weight returned to birth weight @ day 12..its now day 15 and im getting worn down by my healthy baby girl being held hostage to a feeding chart instead of looking at alternative methods that are tried and true..it's just this whole issue is becoming real intrusive and goes much deeper areas for us but would like the best opinions, advice, and case study example that we can find regarding this ..all comments are dearly appreciated for our wonderful baby
Is your child male or female?
:  
Female
What is your child's height?
:  
23"
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
11 lbs 9 oz
It can be frustrating seeing an infant subject to a hospital's regime, however, it sounds like your child was very sick and had to go to the ICU moments after birth. You did not mention what week gestation she was at birth. Was she delivered premature and is that why she has a feeding tube? Or she may be too sick to eat normally. Suggest your wife or you hold the infant even with the feeding tube. There are studies that ill infants improve faster with their mother's touch, being held and being feed. Another suggestion is to ask the MDs if your wife can feed the infant a bottle with some formula or breast (if she is a full-term infant) along with the feeding tube so hopefully they can start to wean her off. Hoped that helped you.
I should also note the 60ml was formula/breastmilk through bottle