Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Feeding habits

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Feeding habits
Hi, I am a first time mom. I don't know where I went wrong but my baby will only eat when he is in sleep. He can not eat when he is awake , that too only 3-4 oz ... It's really getting tougher and tougher . And while eating in sleep he makes clicking sound... I am really concerned how can I change his habit and what will happen when he will grow up to the solid food or when he will be sleeping less how will I feed him ??
As per your measurements, his weight is on the 25th percentile which is normal for his age. Feeding guidelines for a 0-3 month old is breast milk or infant formula (2-4oz per feeding)  for 8-12 times a day. After 4months you can try infant cereal (2-4 tablespoons mixed with formula or breast milk) 1-2 times a day. If he is taking 3-4ozs per feeding while he is awake, that is a good intake for 3 months. Do not recommend feeding while he is sleeping due to risk of choking and gas build-up. Infants need to burp at all feedings.  Feed more enough during the day for him to get the proper amount of nutrients daily. Thank you for your question.