Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Feeding issues

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Feeding issues

My son is already underweight and I am struggling with his eating habits. As suggested by our Pediatrician I am following 6 meals diet every 3 hours. Formula 7 oz, Cereal+Fruits, Formula 7 oz, Cereal+Veggie,  Formula 7 oz and  Formula 7 oz. First of all my son does not finish all 7 oz he drinks only 5 or 6 oz at every feed and now from last one week he is drinking only 15oz in a whole day. What should I do I am so worried for him. He cries badly if I try to force him to drink his formula. Even making him to eat solid is challenging. I really have to do lot of tricks to have him finish his solid. I want him to eat his formula. Please help!!!
Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
What is your child's age?
:  
8 months
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
15 lbs
From your measurements, his weight is just under the 5th percentile for his age. He maybe full from so much formula and food every 3 hours. Suggest going back to 3 meals a day for the solids and formula between meals (as a snack) and at night before bed. Has he been evaluated for swallowing and chewing issues? He may need to learn how to chew and swallow food. Some children just do not know how to do it and need to be taught. They need to learn how to chew and swallow food properly; it is not really an instinct behavior like sucking. Suggest getting him evaluated, by going to your MD, and if needs therapy, start it so he can eat much better. Hoped this helped you.