Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Food issues

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Food issues
My question is about behavior and eating.  My son has many food issues.  He is afraid of some foods like cheerios and applesauce.   If something upsets him around him he will not eat.  If we open the pantry door when he is eating at the table he covers his food w/ it hand - for fear the cheerios will get on his food.   This all started almost 2 years ago when his younger brother started eating.  My son is 5 now and his younger brother is 2.  When his brother started eating cheerios many of them landed on the floor and if he came in and stepped on one he would get so upset.  It got so bad that if he saw one on the floor it would make him instantly throw up.  He also gets upset at apple sauce and many other foods.  He will get so upset and leave the room but no longer throws up. We saw a therapist about it and she dismissed it and said I should just let him eat in the other room if he wants.  We tried it but he got very controlling about what he eats and when and where.  I give him very kid friendly foods and veggies and fruits and he eats most of them, getting him to eat is like a game.  I feel like we are not teaching him to eat on his own w/ out all the fuss.  He loves his little brother they play nice and fight like normal brothers byut all these food issues started w/ him starting solids. This food thing is getting harder and harder.  

I don't know what to do anymore.  It is really upsetting me.  What do I do?  No one believes me and they think I am crazy. Even the PhD I saw for it.  He also started kindergarten this year and is not eating lunch or snack and  I am sure some of it is school is different and scary but some of it is that other are eating around him and he does not like it. He is going over 6 hours w/out eating at school.  I really need help on what to do.  Please give me some guidance.  PLEASE...
Suggest asking your question in the Child Behavior Forum. Maybe they can help you.