Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Frequent Bowel Movement

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Frequent Bowel Movement
My son, who is almost 8, has been having frequent bowel movements for the last month.  The stool is normal in appearance and not runny/diarrhea.  It does not float.  He has been soiling his underwear and will run to the restroom to go.  When this occurs, he has told me that he has no urge to go and does not even realize it's happening until it's too late.  He will have 3 - 4 bowel movements a day and his diet is very normal.  We are diligent to not load him up with sugary foods, never sodas/junk & he does drink plenty of water.  Any suggestions?
Suggest avoiding dairy products (milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream, or puddings) for a week and see if it improves. If it does not then, go see his Doctor and get checked.