Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Frequent Bowel Movements

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Frequent Bowel Movements

My daughter will be three in one month and she has frequent bowel movements. She will sometimes have 5-6 a day.  She hides when she has to go.  It's never loose. Some days she won't go at all.  She drinks apple juice and eats yogurt every few days. I just don't understand why she goes so much. It is interfering with her potty training. She won't go poop in the potty yet and she is hesitant to pee since she frequently poops. Should I be concerned and is there anything I need to be doing for her or giving to her?
Is your child male or female?
:  
Female
What is your child's height?
:  
38 inches
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
34 pounds
We tend to think that once a day is what a normal bowel movement is, however, that is not the case. Children do move their bowels much more frequent and that is ok as long as it is not loose or watery. If it is loose or watery then they need to see a MD to get checked.