Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Frustrated

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Frustrated

Hello.
I am a mother of a wonderful, active, beautiful, intelligent 8-year-old daughter, Grace. Grace has always been a bit "pudgy" but I thought she would have thinned out by now. We are very aware of what we put in our bodies at our house because I am a stage iv metastatic breast cancer patient. So, we eat a lot of fruits and veggies. We emphasize exercise, sports, etc..Grace has a brother (9 years old) and a sister (7 years old) who don't have the same issue. The main problem is the amount Grace eats. Even of the healthy food. Grace eats meals so fast she often is complaining of a belly ache 30 minutes after the meal. I have no idea what to do anymore? I am so concerned that she is going to get teased and feel bad about herself. This has already started a little bit and I am really worried. When we eat meals we emphasize drinking plenty of water with our meals so make sure we aren't mistaking "hunger" for thirst. I make Grace wait to have seconds until we have all had firsts. Grace and I do a mom and me Yoga class and we also have a lot of fun with an at-home Zumba video. So we 'move" a lot!
Ideas? Anything else I can be doing? I would appreciate any advice at all?
Thanks in advance :)
Tags: frustrated, Eating, daughter, Overweight, worried, sports, Exercise, Cancerth, Migrainesove
Is your child male or female?
:  
Female
What is your child's age?
:  
8
What is your child's height?
:  
54 inches
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
82 lbs
From your measurements, her weight is on or just above the 95th percentile for her age. That is good she is doing yoga with you and she eats healthy foods. To help 'slow' her eating down at meals, is have her put her fork or spoon down when she is chewing her food between each spoon or fork full of food. Limit time in front of the TV/DVD or non-active-video games. There have been studies showing the longer the length of time a child sit in front of the TV, the greater the weight gain. Suggest avoid all high sugar drinks/snacks and try replacing with low fat milk/yogurt or fruit/popcorn. Additional suggestions: cook only low fat meats (chicken, fish, loin of pork) or non-meat sources (soy products, nuts), low fat vegetarian combinations (rice & beans, pasta & beans, low fat cheese & pasta), fat free or low fat dairy products (skim milk, 1% milk, low fat cheese, low fat yogurts, low fat soy milk/yogurt), use plant oils, non trans-fat margarines, and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Eat daily high fiber breads and cereals (oatmeal. Recommend not weighting her 2-3 times a week, once a week is more than enough. Have her help you cook simple healthy foods so she learns how to eat right and weight maintenance is a way of life so she enjoys it. Hope this helped you.