Child Nutrition Expert Forum
G tube for my daughter?

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

G tube for my daughter?

My otherwise healthy six year old has been unable to gain any weight since her nissen fundoplication surgery one year ago.  Before the surgery, she was slightly chubby, and now is very thin.  Her bmi has dropped dramatically and now her doctors are very concerned.  We have tried everything the doctor could think of, and are at the point where the doctor is telling us she will probably need a G tube by the end of the summer. We are giving her pancreatic enzymes as a last resort.  The doctors have been unable to find any reason for her failure to gain weight, with the exception of some mild dumping from the surgery.  I don't know if I should seek a second opinion or just go ahead and agree to the GTube. Any suggestions?
Is your child male or female?
:  
Female
What is your child's age?
:  
6 yrs 6 months
What is your child's height?
:  
48 inches
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
45 pounds
From your measurements, her weight is between the 50-25th percentile and her height is on the 75th percentile for her age. Have you tried dense nutrient supplements, such as Pediasure or Boost, instead of milk or between her meals? These would give her additional calories/protein to help her grow. If she is having an absorption issue, then suggest an anti-dumping diet: Reduce high sugar concentrated foods (juice, sweets), eat small frequency meals (5-6 small meals a day), and have no fluids at meals (fluids 30-60 mins before or after meals). If this does not help, then a G-tube is possible but only at night so she can eat food during the day. Hoped this helped you.