Child Nutrition Expert Forum
Gas pains

This forum is for questions and support regarding child nutrition issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies and food, Balanced Menus, Diabetes, Finicky Eaters, Healthy Snacks, Nutrition, Weight Loss.

To help the Registered Dietitian evaluate your child's nutritional status, please state your child's weight (in kg or lbs.), height, and age in the content of your question.

Gas pains

My son is having difficulty sleeping due to gas pains.  It is not consitent but very frequent... here is our story, hoping you can help. Things we have tried- swaddling/not swaddling, pacifier/no pacifier, side sleeping/back sleeping/tummy sleeping, laying flat/sleeping at an angle, bed time bath/no bedtime bath, soy formula/just breast milk...  My son recently started on solid foods about 1 months ago (when he was 5 months old), prior to starting solids we were getting up with him most nights 2-4 times during the night.  Since we have started solids, some nights (maybe 2 times a week) he will go to bed and sleep from 7:30-2:00.  We feed him at 2:00 and after that first feeding he is up every 45 minutes to 90 minutes.  The other nights he goes to bed at 7:30 and is up from about 10:30 or so every 45-90 minutes.  We keep the same bedtime routine.  Here is our feeding schedule for him...  Breast milk 6-9 oz when he wakes in the morning (typically around 7:00).  Then he will eat about 2-3 tbsp of oatmeal ceareal (wet) with 1/2 jar of fruit.  Then he will take about 4-7 oz of soy formula at around 1:00.  Then around 4:00 he will take about 2-3 tablespoons of oatmeal cereal again with about 1/2 jar-1 jar of vegetables.  Usually at this feeding he is still hungry and will have 3-5 oz of soy formula.  He will drink a bottle again around 7:30 before bed, usually 4-6 oz of soy.  Typically we feed him once during the night @ 2 am, 6 oz of soy.  Our nap schedule during the day typically is a 1.5-2 hr nap in the morning about 2 hr after he wakes for the day.  Then an afternoon nap after his 1:00 feeding for about 45 min-1.5 hrs.  He will then take another nap around 5:00 for about 30-45 min.  We are hoping that you can help!!!!  We have talked with our doctor and she thought that maybe he was having a little bit of reflux and that he would outgrow this soon.  But this doesn't explain his gassiness.  My husband and I are frustrated and very tired!!!  We are open to suggestions!
Is your child male or female?
:  
Male
What is your child's age?
:  
6 months
What is your child's height?
:  
26 inches
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
17 pounds 4 ounces
Have you tried mixing the breast-milk 1/2 and 1/2 with the soy formula for a few feedings or one day? Sometimes the mixing helps with the gas. Here are a few suggestions to help with acid reflux. The feeding position is important and should be almost a sitting up position when feeding her. Burp him well. Never lay him down on his back right after eating or ½ hour to 1 hour after feeding because the acid from the stomach goes into the esophagus and causes pain. Raise the head of his crib to a 45-degree angle too so he are not flat on his back. Feeding him 5-6 times day does help. Feeding that way keeps the stomach acid constant which helps the reflux, he grows, and weight increases at a steady pace. Hoped this helped you.